Rolling nest - Non grained material nests as grained materia

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Rolling nest - Non grained material nests as grained materia

Post by Paul Ford »

Hi all,
I'm not sure if anyone else is experiencing this problem but it is starting to cause a few headaches for us.
In rolling nest with the attached job (and many more) it seems to be reading the material as grained. It nests fine in eCabinets but after it has been sent to the machine it is nesting different and in 3 cases so far it has required me to order more material in to finish the job off.
If someone could help me sort this problem out it would be much appreciated. One the jobs from now on, I will change the grain direction on some of the bigger parts as a work around but I still need this fixed so it doesn't waste so much material. A job I did the other day wasted 3 sheets because of the way it nested without me realizing how far different it was to the nest in eCabinets.
Thanks for any help!
Paul.
P.S My internet connection won't allow me to post the attachment so I will try again later on.
Mark Hesketh
Guru Member
Company Name: Paris Kitchens

Post by Mark Hesketh »

Not sure if it is the same problem you are having, but I keep running into the problem where I am handed a dxf, and CN will not rotate it to fit on the sheet. For instance, i had a piece roughly 4' wide by 8' long, drawn as a dxf with the long side in the vertical direction (y-axis). i brought it into CN and gave it a material with no grain, but when I tried to nest, it gave me an error that the size could not fit. Had to go back and rotate the part and resave it with the long side in the x-axis to get CN to accept it.
David Hall
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by David Hall »

Both of these problems will happen if your \"part rotation step angle\" is set to something besides 90.

It's on the CN settings page.

Regards,
Dave
David Hall
Hall's Edge Inc.
eCabinets Machining Services
http://www.HallsEdge.com
Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Paul Ford »

Hi David,
I have tried all step angles and it still seems to come up with the same end result. I will try it again with the next kitchen that goes through.
Thanks heaps for the advise!
Paul.
Mark Hesketh
Guru Member
Company Name: Paris Kitchens

Post by Mark Hesketh »

yeah... that part rotation setting has zero effect on the problems I have as well... :oops: