Boot menu

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Michael J Starry

Boot menu

Post by Michael J Starry »

I came in this morning and my 3 axis machine, upon start up, came up with a screen asking me what to boot first, floppy, cd-rom, removable disk, hard disk, etc. I exited (F4) from it and machine booted fine. I checked to see if there were any external disks attached, ie: floppy, cd, memory stick, and none were.
I then re-booted to see if it would repeat, and it did, same scenario, same screen. It doesn't go away unless you pick a drive to boot first, or F4(exit) out of that screen.
Machine is an M45-510 purchased new in December with the Super Control on XP.
Anyone have any idea why this might be happening all of the sudden?
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Post by Daniel Vonderheide »

Michael,

In the manilla envelope that was shipped with your machine there should be a document on setting up the machine's Bios. Follow the instructions and the examples to verify the Bios is set up correctly. If you cannot find this document, you can call Tech Services (1-800-221-3865) and they can fax you a copy.
Michael J Starry

Post by Michael J Starry »

I have that info. Thank you. But do you have any idea what/why/how this would just happen, literally overnight? For months there have been no problems like this at all, then I power down, come in the next morning, and whammo - the BIOS have somehow changed. What in the world causes that t o happen?
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Post by Daniel Vonderheide »

There is a small bettery on the motherboard. If this battery goes bad then the bios will reset itself to the default settings on every powerup. You can test this by checking the bios settings and resetting them as needed. Verify the machine starts properly. Now shut down the machine. When you restart it, check the bios settings. If they have changed back to the default, you will need to replace the battery.