problem with tool changing

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Nemanja Vujkovic

problem with tool changing

Post by Nemanja Vujkovic »

PLC screen says:

\"The PLC program in the control did not respond to the tool change request!!!!
Push E-Stop, then NC-reset twice and home the machine.
If that does not help, contact Thermwood tech services.\"

Well, it does not help!!!
Nemanja Vujkovic

I just tried again for the 15th time and it worked. It is the same program, nothing changed!
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Be sure to clean all tool holder tapers to ensure they are clean from dirt and debris. You will need to load and run the Rebuild program in D:\\Data\\Part and ensure T1 is loaded in the router. This should get things up and running again. If you do not get a successful toolchange at this point, you will want to call into Thermwood (1800 221 3865) and ask for Feild Service Dept. for further assistance.
Ryan Hochgesang

The issue did not likely stem from the cnc program being ran, but rather some sort of mechanical/electrical related situation causing the tool change timing to be off, thus setting PLC alarm off. This can be caused by dirty tool holder tapers or possibly a faulty toolchange assembly, switch/sensor.
Nemanja Vujkovic

Thanks, but I clean tool holder tapers every day. And this happens at least 2-3 times a day!
Ryan Hochgesang

I would suggest calling in to Thermwood (1800 221 3865, ask for Field Service) to see if they can provide any light on the matter.
Nemanja Vujkovic

Thanks Ryan, I will try that!
Carl Jones
Thermwood Team

Post by Carl Jones »

Usually when this error comes up there is a \"ghost macro\" that is inserted in the program due to an e-stop during a tool change. The macro is M241. If this happens again, look in your program after your tool call or simply reload the program without saving it before you close it out. I hope this helps.
Thermwood Technician
Nemanja Vujkovic

Thanks Carl, but it's not that because i had that problem before and i tryed to do what you said and it does not help!
Carl Jones
Thermwood Team

Post by Carl Jones »

In that case, I would try to run the rebuild program that is in the Data/Part directory. If it still fails, then you may have a corrupted file. You should be able to restart the computer and try again.
Thermwood Technician
Nemanja Vujkovic

I did that, but it happened often. Up to 5 timesa day. And now that i incrised the pressure it is fine.
See, what hapened was that the machine would loos pressure at the moment of the too change so i would have to lift the router (Z-axis) up and reload the tool manualy in the router. After that i would try to run the program again and it woul show the PLC message from the firs post, so now that the pressure is a little higher it does not come in situation to have problem with tool change!!!
Carl Jones
Thermwood Team

Post by Carl Jones »

I see what you are saying. The tool was actually getting stuck in the spindle? The main thing is try to run 100 pSI at the main. The flow control can be opened up a little to \"quicken\" the drawbar firing down. The 58lb regulator is only for the air purge when the drawbar is fired. If you need anything don't hesitate to call.
Thermwood Technician
Nemanja Vujkovic

Not a problem Carl, i will call if something goes wrong, but for now everything works great!!!

Thank for all your help!