Has anyone had an error \"63\" on a servomotor???

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

Has anyone had an error \"63\" on a servomotor???

Post by Michael Kowalczyk »

I had a Z servomotor error out with this #. Thermwood was great in helping trouble shoot it. Unfortunately Seimans has discontinued it and it is vary hard to find someone that is authorized to service them and the encoder I guess is hard to get. Well Thermwood has a newer model but it would involve changing a card and modifying the program and my first thought was to keep both of our CNC's with the same parts so they are interchangeable, since they are both 2002 models.

Well I sent it out to be repaired and they claimed to have fixed the encoder but when I put it on the CNC that had the working one, the C42, that I took off to keep the C40 working, it had the same error 63. So one motor on two different CNC's with same error code definitely says the motor is still not working.

It looked nice when they sent it back to me. New paint job, stickers that say \"Warranty void if removed\" and nice little red caps protecting the plugs. I sent it back to them and should hear back from them today as they said it would be a priority job, but no call yet and I know they received it yesterday afternoon.

Sorry for such a long story but has anyone else any issue like this?

Thanks,
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

HP-Elite Quad Core Q6700-4 MB ram, Nvidia GeForce 512 MB Dual HP 22" flat panels, Windows 7 ultimate 64bit SP1
Carl Jones
Thermwood Team

Post by Carl Jones »

The \"error 63\" you are referring to, is normally an overcurrent error on the Siemens usually because of a mechanical issue. It could be a bad gas spring on the z axis, or a dry z axis trackway needing grease. You can contact one of us in the service dept. and we can get your problem fixed. Thanks
Thermwood Technician
Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

Hey Carl,
This is the same one we already troubleshot. Remember you sent the test cable to go from the driver to the servomotor??? It was determined at that point that it was the servomotor because I took the one off of the C42 Z drive and put it on the C40 z drive and it has been working every since with out a problem. But I sent the one with the original problem to get it rebuilt and the encoder repaired. They said they fixed it after about 3 weeks but when I installed it on the C42 it had the same error that it had on the C40. So that tells me that the repair center did not repair the encoder as they claim.
My main question is if anyone else has had an error code 63 come up and was it also the encoder in the Seimans servomotor.

It is hard to think it can be anything else but the same problem especially since almost all of the repair centers I spoke to usually got pretty quiet when I mentioned the encoder. I guess if they can not get a new one easily and do a plug and play swap they get skittish about it.
It is just to logical that I install the repaired servomotor on the C42 which never had a code 63 error on it and I have not had any problems with the Z and W like this before and the one I swapped from the C42 to the C40 is still working without error. It has to be the substandard repair job on the servomotor. And just to make sure everyone knows, I had it sent to a certified Seimans service center here in Texas, Thermwood has not touched it. They helped me trouble shoot and we eliminated the wiring and the drive and since I replaced the servomotor and it is working it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out. So maybe that is why Seimans discontinued this particular servomotor.(17)

I don't know I just want my C42 back up and running so I do not have to swap out the z servomotors everytime I want to use the other CNC. Does anyone have a spare working 2002 Z servomotor I can use? :wink:

Thanks,
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

HP-Elite Quad Core Q6700-4 MB ram, Nvidia GeForce 512 MB Dual HP 22" flat panels, Windows 7 ultimate 64bit SP1
Carl Jones
Thermwood Team

Post by Carl Jones »

Hi Michael, give me a call on Monday about the old servo motor. We have a way to get the problem corrected. Thanks
Thermwood Technician
Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

OK
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

Hey Carl,
got the motor back today. after I installed it and powered up the controller and hit NC rest the W head moved up about 4 inches in a rapid movement. Error code still 63. It also had something about a tool bar 25 or 26. I did not write it down. So I restarted it again and this time the W head went down about 4 inches in rapid again after hitting NC rest. this time I opened the panel and looked at the drive. It was the 3rd one on the right and it had \"E A608\" or the lcd. I hit the center button, it went to \"run\" and I shut it off. They, the repair guys, told me that it was loose and they had to put shims in it so that it would work. Well that's odd because they said they had bench tested it to make sure all the reading were correct. I am wondering if what ever they did or repaired changed some settings and that's why it is not working. I should think that it should be a plug and play except for the \"C marker\" if needed.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

OK final update on this issue.The repair Co. said they could not fix it and will refund the $. I ordered a used one from Thermwood, since they do not make any new ones, and it arrived this AM. I installed it and homed it with no problems. I ran a few test programs with the Z shift raised to 2\" and it went flawless. Thank you Lord!!! So I lost almost months time because I used a local servo repair Co. that said they were Seimans certified. Well my mistake and Thermwood came through again. It cost me a little more for the Servomotor but what is a month's of lost production worth???
Thanks again,
Michael Kowalczyk, GM