machine e-stops while cutting doors

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Mark Hesketh
Guru Member
Company Name: Paris Kitchens

machine e-stops while cutting doors

Post by Mark Hesketh »

I have a door profile in Panelmetrix that I have been running trouble-free for a year and a half. It is quite a long-time-to-cut profile, a sheet of doors takes a little over an hour to cut on average. Lately I keep running into a problem where the machine will suddenly e-stop after making a tool change for the second-last pass for the doors. It may run half a dozen sheets fine, then hit this problem for no reason that I can figure out. The machine drops off the tool used for the third-last pass, picks up the tool for the second-last pass, then e-stops and gives the following error message on the PLC screen \"Tool change macro completed change but a spindle drawbar is not retracted properly\"

The third-last tool is located in the back bar, the second-last tool is located in the typewriter (though I have tried it in the back bar as well and ran into the same problem).

As I said, it will work fine for multiple sheets, then suddenly start acting up. I can't see that there is anything different between sheets. It has cost me over 6 hours of lost time now. Any ideas as to what might be causing this and how I can fix it?
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Mark,

This issue is likely due to dirt or debris up in the spindle tool bar mechanism or possible need for adjustment of the draw bar devise.

First step would be to manually remove the tool holder from router and take an air hose and blow out router. You also want to be sure taper is clean. You can use scotch bright pad to remove any material that may be caked to inner taper if need be. Do not use any oily type substance to clean these areas, for this will increase dirt collection.

If you continue to have toolchange issues after cleaning router out, contact Thermwood Field Service dept. (1800 221 3865, ask for field servce dept.) for further recommendations.
Mark Hesketh
Guru Member
Company Name: Paris Kitchens

Post by Mark Hesketh »

just for the record, I clean the router and the tool holders throroughly ona a regular basis. this problem is inconsistent... i can run the tool length program a dozen times with all the bits with no problem, and all the doors will run fine, except for when it switches to the one tool once in a while. i might run into the problem with one sheet of doors while the sheet before and after run just fine.
Carl Jones
Thermwood Team

Post by Carl Jones »

Hi Mark, If you ahve tried a different toolholder with the sam result it is possible we may need to adjust the \"up\" drawbar switch a small amount. Sometimes as the drawbar spring tension inside the router weakens or the taper in the spindle gets worn a bit it can affect the sensors. This is a very sensitive adjustment. If you want ot call in we can walk you through this procedure. Thanks
Thermwood Technician