Help on cutting plyboo

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Rob Frenette

Help on cutting plyboo

Post by Rob Frenette »

Hey guys

Need some help with cutting Plyboo. Recommended outline cutter size, cutter and feed speed. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Rob Frenette

Calmark Cabinetry & Woodwork Ltd
Specializing in CNC Machining & Edgebanding
DanFecteau
eCabinets Beta Tester

Cutting plyboo

Post by DanFecteau »

We cut poplar plywood with 1/2\" compression at 400 feed speed and 18000 in one pass if the plywood is quite flat,don't go clockwise on your cut if you don't want any fuzzle on the edge.
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Joe Dusel »

By the way, in case you hadn't noticed, the PlyBoo material tends to vary from one end to the other by as much as 1mm in thickness. I have a friend with a CNC who cuts it all the time and he runs a fly cutter over the panels before processing them. Smith and Fong charges an arm and a leg for this stuff and they can't even get it sanded flat.

Joe
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

I have a 2\" thick Bamboo Countertop comming from Totally Bamboo.com on Monday. I think I will take it slow with multiple passes. That stuff IS hard!(and heavy). I'll post pics when it's done. I need to cut it into a 45 degree \"L\" shape for a raised Island Bartop. Also, I need to flip it and 'Hog Out\" 3/4\" to allow for 5/8\" roughtop for attaching it.
Rob Frenette

Post by Rob Frenette »

Hi Guys

Thanks for the info. We have not got around to cutting the bamboo sheets yet, but will have to very soon.
Joe we are just cutting it into slabs for doors so the variance in thickness won't matter much. But still wondering what cutting speed and RPM I should setup. I plan on using a 1/2 comp for outline. I wonder if it is necessary to cut in 2 passes it is only 3/4 thick.
Rob Frenette

Calmark Cabinetry & Woodwork Ltd
Specializing in CNC Machining & Edgebanding
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

I would think two passes would be a good idea. The sample top that I have is harder than ****!

Brian
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

'Got it cut! Hard! Have to watch chip-out on the end grain at the 45's.
Attachments
100_1039.JPG
100_1039.JPG (755.37 KiB) Viewed 7445 times
100_1037.JPG
100_1037.JPG (918.15 KiB) Viewed 7452 times
100_1036.JPG
100_1036.JPG (669.82 KiB) Viewed 7449 times
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re: Help on cutting plyboo

Post by Joe Dusel »

Yoiks! I can't believe you "hogged out" 3/4" of that expensive bamboo countertop material! That would have been painful to watch... I have made bamboo tops in the past where I doubled up the material on the edge to give it a thicker look. I just did a job this week with the 1 1/2" material from Totally Bamboo. I made an island top 54" x 67" out of two pieces of the 30" x 96" stuff. I glued and double biscuited the sections. The client was very happy with it.

Totally Bamboo has quite the operation going. They must have 20,000 sq. ft. of space and it's packed with all sorts of bamboo products.

Take care,

Joe
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re: Help on cutting plyboo

Post by Brian Shannon »

I figured it was less labor to Hog-out the material than to glue-up the edges. I also had to glue and bisquit to get 36" width. It turned out great. I'll post finished pics when I get them. I talked to Tom at TotallyBamboo for quite a while. Nice guy and a great product. It is pricey but very cool stuff.