Tool Change

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Bill OConnell

Tool Change

Post by Bill OConnell »

When running in absolute mode and the program calls for a tool change, should the router, return to its last position or does it continue from wherever the tool change was made?

I was using a fixture offset and working in a small quadrant of the table. The program called for a tool change followed by a plunge. The required tool was on the tool bar at the back of the table. It made the change, came back in over the table and started plunging, which was about 5' from where I wanted it to plunge. Any suggestions?
Woodworking the Way You Want It
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi Bill,

After the tool change, you will need an X and Y movement without the Z to the 1st point in your program. It would be better to have this in Absolute.
Jody Wilmes
Guru Member
Company Name: Thermwood

Re: Tool Change

Post by Jody Wilmes »

\"When running in absolute mode and the program calls for a tool change, should the router, return to its last position or does it continue from wherever the tool change was made?\"

It will not go back to it's last position. An index move is required.

\"I was using a fixture offset and working in a small quadrant of the table. The program called for a tool change followed by a plunge.\"

You'll need to add the index move before the plunge. If you are using a post. It's best to have the post-processor changed.

\"The required tool was on the tool bar at the back of the table. It made the change, came back in over the table and started plunging, which was about 5' from where I wanted it to plunge. Any suggestions?\"
Bill OConnell

Post by Bill OConnell »

After the tool change, you will need an X and Y movement without the Z to the 1st point in your program. It would be better to have this in Absolute.
What is an X and Y movement without the Z? Is it just any movement in the X and/or (please tell me if it is AND or OR or if it doesn't matter) Y direction? In other words before the tool change I made a slight X move to locate over my next position to plunge. Are you saying that if I did the tool change first and then this X move the program would work?
It will not go back to it's last position. An index move is required.

What is an index move?
You'll need to add the index move before the plunge. If you are using a post. It's best to have the post-processor changed.
What is a post and post processor?
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi Bill,

If the last X and Y position before the tool change was X21 Y21, you could either enter that in after the tool change or a different X and Y position. The machine needs to know where to go next after the tool change. You always want to move the machine to the correct X and Y coordinates before you drop Z down. An index move is a term used for moving the machine around from point to point without being in the part. The index move for example would be the movement between two parts. A post processor would be used for Mastercam, Artcam, etc... Rolling Nest has a post however it is more automatic than the others.

Hope this helps.
Bill OConnell

Post by Bill OConnell »

Thanks, I'll give that a try.
Bill OConnell

Post by Bill OConnell »

That worked like a champ. Thanks, guys :D