FIRST BIG NEST

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

FIRST BIG NEST

Post by Damon Nabors »

Ok, I have successfully cut a bunch of individual cabinets with success, and now I am going to try a larger nest of 15 sheets. I know that when I write the cnc file in e-cab it ask about changing material thickness. How do you handle the varying thicknesses from sheet 1 to sheet 15??? I have read about averaging the sheets but do you average 15 sheets or is there an easy way to update the material thickness as you progress through the job???

Just don't want to burn up alot of material with mistakes. If I could get some advise from the veteran pros out there, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Damon
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Damon,

First of all what type material is it? If it is melamine or mdf the thickness is consistant so mic it and use it every time. If it is plywood you have to take an high average of the sheets being used. Domestic ply is usually .72 or .725 on average. Import ply is .70 to .71 on average.

Hope this helps,
Forrest
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

Forrest, it will be pre-finished domestic VCP one side. I know I have read that some of you guys say measure about every 5 sheets or so, and did not understand at the time what was going on, but now that I have the router, I did not see anywhere you could adjust the material thickness except for the e-cab file. I am also currious about the production sharing side of this. Are you guys telling the customers what number to plug in or do you open the file once you have it and input the number. The reason I ask is because I generally do not stock the material untill I get a deposit or when the job starts up because of space issues.

I have alot to learn about the whole CNC process and I appreciate the help that everyone offers on the site. I felt comfortable with e-cabs, now I feel like I am starting all over again.

Thanks,

Damon
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

Hey Damon...

it is a whole new learning curve...but everybody here will help you work through it!

For domestic VCP one side we use .725 - set it up in your material list and account for it accordingly with your construction settings. The change material thickness has too many problems to chance cutting any number of sheets.

I've done the same for anyone we're cutting for...We've given them the settings for specific materials and asked that they build their cabinets using those settings.

Mark
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

Thanks for the info, we are going to start cutting this afternoon and give it a try. Up untill now I have been cutting small jobs, I guess the bigger ones make me nervous do to the potential waste factor that I could create.