Error retrieving part name information

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Todd Anderson

Error retrieving part name information

Post by Todd Anderson »

I've got a job with 35 doors. I created and sent the .twd file to the router without any problem. When I go into the 5 piece door program at the control and select only certain parts, I keep getting "error retrieving part name information" when I try to write the CNC code. Has anyone ever experienced this before? Is there a way around it? At the moment I'm unable to proceed.
Todd Miller

Re: Error retrieving part name information

Post by Todd Miller »

Todd,
What is the name of your job? What are your door names within that job? One thing you may try is to load up a single door and see if that works. If that does work, then we know that one or more doors within the job is corrupt. If you would like to post the job on the forum, I can look at it.
Todd Anderson

Post by Todd Anderson »

Hi Todd,

Yeah, I ended up creating smaller batches of cabinets from the larger job, and they all worked okay, so I'm not sure what was going on.

Thanks for the response.

-Todd
Todd Miller

Post by Todd Miller »

Todd,
I am still curious why you would be getting the error at the control. If or when you get time, would you mind posting the job that was giving you problems. It would help us in fixing anything related to this in the future. Thanks!
Todd Anderson

Post by Todd Anderson »

Hey Todd,

I just had this happen again. I've zipped and attached the .hsf file in question.

The problem seems to be coming from Cab #7 in the list at the moment. If I save that particular cabinet and add it to a new job by itself, then it writes the code fine at the control. I also had it happen to Cab #5 in the list, but I deleted and re-added the doors and that worked. Let me know if you need additional info.

Thanks,
Todd
Attachments
Cook kitchenette.zip
(5.13 MiB) Downloaded 320 times
Todd Miller

Post by Todd Miller »

Todd,
I loaded up the job, then took each cabinet back into the cabinet editor and gave each door a name. Then it wrote the cnc without a hitch. When the twd file is created the door has a default name, and that default name has parenthesis () in the file name. If you give the door a name the () disappear, fixing the error. I have reported this issue to our programmers.

to rename the doors in the cabinet editor...
select the door by single clicking
right click
choose "user part name"
enter a name (use different names for each door)

this is a little time consuming, so be patient.
Todd Anderson

Post by Todd Anderson »

Hey Todd,

I must be missing something. I'm trying to run my next job, and I did as you outlined here and gave each door a unique name in the cabinet editor, but I'm still getting the error at the control in the five piece door program. I'm not sure where to go from here...

-Todd
Todd Miller

Post by Todd Miller »

Todd,
Send me the job (TWD file) you are trying to load up at the controller. I will load it up a see what the problem could be.
Todd Anderson

Post by Todd Anderson »

I have attached the .twd file in zipped format.

Thanks,
Todd
Attachments
canderson kitchen.zip
(2.12 MiB) Downloaded 319 times
Todd Miller

Post by Todd Miller »

Todd,
Are you changing your material thickness when you write the twd file? If so, What materials are you changing?
Todd Anderson

Post by Todd Anderson »

No, I didn't change any material thicknesses.
Todd Miller

Post by Todd Miller »

If I try writing the code for the doors on the "Canderson Kitchen" file I get this error...
"An error occured while trying to write CNC code for the center panel of TW-10: Panel."

Is this the error you are getting now?

Or do you still get this error?
"error retrieving part name information"
Todd Anderson

Post by Todd Anderson »

I've ssen the error about the center panel before, but it's not the latest I'm getting. I'm not at a place right now where I can try it again, but I'll try it later this evening and let you know the exact error message.

-Todd
Todd Anderson

Post by Todd Anderson »

I'm getting "error retrieving part name information".

-Todd
Todd Miller

Post by Todd Miller »

Todd,
I think the problem may be that you are trying to cut Conestoga doors at the router. Conestoga doors are for purchase only. If you want to use the 5 piece door feature you must use the thermwood door selection within the door/drawer designer. Note: This is just an initial observation, I will continue to look into this, but I think this may be the issue. I am going to change all your doors to thermwood doors and see if that fixes things.