All DXF's are not born equal

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Nick M Singer
Guru Member

All DXF's are not born equal

Post by Nick M Singer »

I have had this problem before and I see that it has not gone away. As you can see from the pic some of the letters are too big, this is as a result of the letter being cut on the outside of the line instead of on the inside even though all the letters are on the chaincompin layer, I fixed this last time by putting the misbehaving letters onto the chaincompout layer and they were then cut just the opposite and came out right. I am beginning to think that this is because the DXF was created in a CAD package that is not Auto Cad and shall remain nameless as I have seen an awful lot of huffing and puffing in some other posts about naming other products. Has anyone picked up similar problems when not using the "industry standard" CAD program?
Attachments
lettering.JPG
lettering.JPG (14.05 KiB) Viewed 4412 times
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Re: All DXF's are not born equal

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi Nick,

You might want to post that dxf file for tech support to look at.

thanks,
Jason Susnjara
V.P., Marketing
Thermwood Corp.

On YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/ThermwoodCNC
Thermwood Blog:
http://blog.thermwood.com
Todd Miller

Post by Todd Miller »

Or send the DXF file to...

program@thermwood.com
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Hi guys! You have seen this kind of thing from me last year when I was trying to machine a series of numbers, What I am trying to establish is whether this kind of thing happens to people who generate there DXFs using Auto Cad as I am not, I will try in the meantime to get my paws on a copy and run the same letters again.
Ian Smith

Post by Ian Smith »

Hi Nick

I am sure that the problem lies not in the cad program you are drawing in but rather that you are drawing in 1:1 on you package and when e-cabs imports there is a little chap in there that has not learnt metric and therefore confuses himself when you ask him to deal with it

The problem that we have been trying to sort out with the arched mirror frame is still unresolved but when I get back I am going to redraw this item in feet/inches and bring it in as such and I will give you 2:1 odds that it works

You may recall that when we were running those balustrades we had to go in and edit the machine code by deviding by 25.54 - Richard Moss reported this to the powers that be 3 months but has also not had any feed back to date - and remember that we drew the shape in Acad - also when we created a tool in Acad and brought it in in DXF format the size is way wrong

As you know I am in Atlanta at the moment and Robin demonstrated by using our company name on his SCM for me - AT THE MACHINE - and with a bit of talking in between it took a whole 2 minutes - a saving of about three and a half months in your case as I seem to recall that you started trying to sort this out last October

See you Monday
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Hi Ian, I thought you were going to be back with us today (Friday 11th). This is all very frustrating especially the curved mirror problem, I dont think it is metric / imperial related though as most of the numbers and letters are correct, that is not to say that the metric issue does not rear its ugly head now and again. Remember that space module they lost a couple of years back? I would have thought that a financial sting of that magnitude would have made them sit up, but old habits die hard it seems.