How sturdy is the Flycutter?

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Dave Burtchell

Re: How sturdy is the Flycutter?

Post by Dave Burtchell »

I didn't mean to imply my way was the best or only way
Sorry if I sounded that way. It just kind of hit me like a slap: use the wasteboard once and throw it away ?
And the 16 minutes, 19 seconds sounds like a long time. Now I'm a lot more curious. It sounds like the 3-4 times we flycut 1 wasteboard is costing, not saving us money.

Thanks for getting my thinking cap going,
Dave
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

Grady and Dave, both of your plans sound doable. The problem I have is finding 5 x 10 mdf, I can get 5 x 8 x1/4 all day long. The thing that kills me from ordering from Thermwood is the freight (Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking Thermwood, It's the freight I have a problem with, and I know with fuel prices like they are now, everything is more expensive to ship). I was going to order a couple sheets last month, but the freight alone was over $125.00. By the time you figure the material and the freight, that is some expensive sheet goods. My sheet good supplier can order it in full bundles, but I do not really need 50 sheets laying around.

Dave, I would be interested in your flycut program also. I under stand Grady's view point also, but for me, my machine is not running a full shift everyday. It just makes since to flycut when its idle.
Damon Nabors
Grady Robertson

Post by Grady Robertson »

Dave,
We don't actually throw them away. We use them for decks in crates we ship in. Let us know know what you come up with for a time on your fly cutting program. Mine my not be optimized.

Damon,
We have a hard time getting 5'X10' also. I just use 4'X8' and then cut fillers for the extra. We probably just cut 4'X8' material about 95% of the time so I just replace the full sheet when needed.

Grady
Grady Robertson
Wood Graphix
http://www.woodgraphix.com
grady@woodgraphix
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

I've been using the 5x8 and a filler when needed. Seems to work fine.
Damon Nabors
Dave Burtchell

Post by Dave Burtchell »

Okay, Time to flycut one side of wasteboard is 4 minutes, 11 seconds. Of course our table is only 4x8, so the same program would take longer on a 5x10.

Damon, I'd be happy to share the program, but you'd have to modify it to use on your table. It makes a perimeter pass, then calls a label(?) and runs back and forth till it Estops out of bounds or we stop it manually.

Dave
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

Oh, yours goes out of bounds too... I thought I could just remove one line of code to fix that but THM said it is more involved than that. I guess we'll just have to keep stopping it manually.