Batching Drawer Boxes

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Batching Drawer Boxes

Post by Damon Nabors »

Is there a way to batch drawer boxes? I have been talking to some local shops about cutting their drawer boxes and received an order today. Is there a way to batch just drawer boxes so they can be nested in ecabs so we can give a quote on number of sheets required?

I know I can do it at the control but it would be nice to be able to just punch in the size drawer and quantity and get an accurate sheet count.

Thanks,
Damon
Damon Nabors
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re: Batching Drawer Boxes

Post by Michael S Murray »

Damon,
I usually just add them through the drawer box editor, doesnt take that long. You can not batch them as a drawer as far as I know, but with a little trickery you can get something workable. Create a .001 thick sheet good called do not cut or whatever.Take a standard frameless, delete all parts except the left and right sides, THEN change the material to the do not cut .001 material. Change the cabinet size to something realistic for a drawer.Take this cabinet to the drawer box editor and add your chosen drawer box with no set backs, in other words so it fits your cabinet exactly. Save this contraption and then you can take it to batch, change the size in batch and add it to batch, do this for all your sizes and then delete your seed. Takes longer to write it than it does to do it..Of course your drawer box will be .002 smaller than actual measurment, but my mics only go to 6" so I doubt any one will ever know :D :D
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

Mike, thanks for the work around. It sure would be nice though if in the batch cabinet screen, they could add drawer boxes right under assymblies.

Damon
Damon Nabors
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

One more thing, Mike, couldn't you just make your cabinet .002" wider than you need so the cabinet box would be the correct size. Just a Thought. I know what you mean by the mic though. know one is going to mike the drawer box.
Damon Nabors
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

I just tested this out and it works:

1. Open a standard frameless base.
2. Make it the dimensions you want for the drawer box.
3. Remove everything except the deck.
4. Add a drawer box with the correct height, etc.
5. Remove the deck.
6. Save as a cabinet and batch to your heart's content.

The nice thing is that you can resize while adding to the batch too. :D

This was inspired by this post Scott Vaal made some time ago about batching doors:
1.) Load the std base frame less.
2.) Delete all cabinet parts except the toe kick.
3.) Go to door/drawer editor: set the door you want default and then add it to the cabinet (do not change any door con-settings).
4.) Return to main.
5.) Go to con-settings -> toe kick tab: set the Height and Inset to zero, and un-check \"Has Toe\", select OK.
6.) Save this cabinet and then batch any size/Qty door of this style that you want."
Attachments
DB Test.hsf
(808.02 KiB) Downloaded 329 times
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

I guess I've missed something...but when I want to run drawer boxes for others I simply open a drawer box into the cabinet editor, save it as an assembly and after creating all the sizes I need add them to the batch from the assembly folder and send it to the machine.

Mark
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

Dan, I just got through testing as well and deleted everything except the sides. No top, back, bottom, or toe kick. Made sheet stock .001 and went to the drawer box editor and added the drawer box (at the top it ask for drawer box height. Then I added another drawer box to the same cabinet and adjusted its height as well. (these drawer boxes are the same width.) I made the cabinet .002 wider than the drawer boxes to account for the side material (do not cut) and made the depth of the cabinet the same as the drawer boxes.

After going back to the main screen, clicked the drawer box to check the size and it was Perfect. :beer:

Well Hell, I just noticed Mark Taylors post and his way works better. Thanks Mark. Thanks Dan, Thank Mike. :beer:
Damon Nabors
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael S Murray »

Hey damon, ya, you could add the .002, but your material will be off more than that anyway.

Dan, that would work also.

Mark, that is what I do basically, I just go to the drawer box editor,pull up the drawer I want, enter the size, call it joes drawer 1 hit cnc, enter the next size call it joes drawer 2 hit cnc and so forth, doesnt take long to do 10 or 15 drawers. Batching them first might save a couple minutes though.
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Damon Nabors wrote:...Well Hell, I just noticed Mark Taylors post and his way works better. Thanks Mark. Thanks Dan, Thank Mike...
Ain't this a great place--ask one question and get three different answers that all work? :beer:
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

:beer: I'm going to have to stop or I'm not going to be able to drive. :D
Damon Nabors
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Guys,

Take a frameless base and delete all parts except for the toe kick. Downsize it a little if you want like 12x12x12 then take it into drawer box editor and add a box with 0 insets then back to main and delete the toe kick and also give it 0 height and inset. What you are left with is a resizable drawer box that can be saved as a cabinet in let say a drawer directory and then batched to your hearts content. This means one job to load at the machine and you can print the batch list for the guys in the shop to go by.

Hope this helps,
Forrest
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi Damon,

There is a way of doing this and the link to that thread is below.

http://www.thermwood.com/forums/viewtop ... xes#p34159
Jason Susnjara
V.P., Marketing
Thermwood Corp.

On YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/ThermwoodCNC
Thermwood Blog:
http://blog.thermwood.com
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

Thanks Jason, I knew there had to be an easier way to change sizes.

Damon
Damon Nabors
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

Just tried it and that is just what I needed. Thanks everyone.
Damon Nabors