Cutting 6mm Engineered stone

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Cutting 6mm Engineered stone

Post by Neville Bastian »

I am waiting for my c45 to be despatched but it comes with a mist spray. I think this is mainly for machining aluminium. Has anyone tried it on Engineered stone that is available in 6.5mm thickness. If you have, could you share your experience and what settings you got the best results with.
Thanks in advance
Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Re: Cutting 6mm Engineered stone

Post by Will Williamson »

Looks like you drew a blank. I see them discussing this sort of question a lot on the Art Cam forum
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Neville Bastian
Guru Member

Hi Will,
Looks like its not been done by any forum readers. I did see a sample done by someone here but they had the feed speed too high and the cutter was old. They didn't have any cooling either. It still cut it fairly well until the bit started melting. :) I have a Granite Transformations Franchise second business so am hoping I can do this cutting as it will save heaps of time.
I'll check out that artcam forum. I have downloaded that demo program so I should have a second look. I hope it has reverse plan ability as I wanted to draw it as required then flip it so I can rout from the back as you use 45 degree cutters for the face,seen edge. I don't think Ecabinets can flip at this stage.

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

Sounds interesting Let me know how you make out with this stone cutting as time goes on . My e mail is will@willmade.com Email me and as I run across these stone cutting articles I will forward them to you. Are these tiles that you are cutting?
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Neville Bastian
Guru Member

Hi Will,
The granite is actually like tiles but in the sheet format. There is some more info at this site if interested, http://www.granitetransformations.com.au/
The sheets are 3100 by 1300 so lend them selves to be cut like laminate. Currently we use Festo saws with a Diamond blade and that cuts well but slow and dusty.
On the Thermwood it would be a breeze as it could nest all the DXF's and away it goes. :P Well in theory at this early stage.
If you could keep me informed on ArtCams forum,thats great. I'll contact you on your email address soon
Regards

Neville
Neville Australia