MDF DOORS

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

MDF DOORS

Post by Damon Nabors »

I am looking at purchasing a set of MDF Door Tools. The Vortex #7900 Series. The set comes with four tools, 1-outside edge tool, 1-Inside edge tool, 1-inside corner cleaner tool, and 1-panel tool. Before I purchase these tools, I am curious if MDF Doors are going to be as simple as Installing the tools, designing the door and then cutting them out. I guess I am just wanting to do a little home work before I drop $1,300.00 on a set of tools. Any feed back from anyone cutting doors would be great.

Thanks for the help.
Damon
Damon Nabors
Eric Shearn

Re: MDF DOORS

Post by Eric Shearn »

Hello Damon,

I do have some other sources for MDF door tools that may come in at a lower cost. If you would like to email or fax me a sketch of the profiles you are looking for I can come up with a package of tools and pricing from other resources. Please give me a call or email me if you have any other questions.

Thank You,
Eric Shearn
800-533-6901 ext.238
Fax:812-937-2956
eric.shearn@thermwood.com
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Damon,

A set of dedicated tools is the best method for machining mdf and you may even want to consider diamond. Look at paying about $500 per bit for diamond that will last you 100 to 1 over carbide.

At this time you will need software other than ecabinets to do this on a production level as ecabs does not allow tool sets. Keep your fingers crossed that they will do this soon and use the forum to make your request. The more people on board the higher priority it becomes.

Forrest
jerry johnson

Post by jerry johnson »

I may be all wet here but can't you establish tool groups for specific materials in controll nesting? 8)
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

Using Ecab to design the mdf doors will only allow you to use two dedicated profile tools. There is other software used for MDF Doors that will allow the use of more than two tools. This is not a slam on ecab, so don't misunderstand, only an area that needs some attention in the near future. You can model out the door and achieve the desired door, but it does take considerably longer to do. I have found that it takes on average of 30 minutes per door. I need to pump out more than 16 doors per 8 hour shift.

Thanks
Damon
Damon Nabors
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

Damon is it possible to design your doors with just centerlines and then use custom tool in profile modeler. Didn't I read that you had art cam available to use ?
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

Yes, I have ArtCam, and it can be done with ArtCam. Just a little more time consuming to design the doors. Each door has to be individually designed since it is not a door program.
As for the centerline, I suppose that would work, I have not played around much with that part of the machine since purchasing it. Still a lot to learn, but that is the beauty of this forum, lots of knowledgable people out there to help when in a bind.
Damon Nabors
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

I'm learning and working in the same area of e cab and profile modeler right now so we will see what happens
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram