thickest Vacuum Board

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Thom Davies
Guru Member
Company Name: Dawn Group

thickest Vacuum Board

Post by Thom Davies »

Hey How's going?

Just wondering what the thickest vacuum board could be? I was thinking 25 or 30mm mdf.

Just wondering what other thermwood users and the techs think of that with the amount it can suck and hold down.

Thanks

Thom Davies.
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Re: thickest Vacuum Board

Post by Will Williamson »

We use 3/4" x 5' x 10' as the main with a 1/4" x 4' x 8' on top of that I found that if you keep surfacing just one side the edges turn up and you need to turn it over to get good seal around the edged . the 1/4" is easy to handle and i get several clean up cut before needing to be replaced.
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

I once had a 3/4" spoilboard, a 1/4" wasteboard, a 1" Mdf panel, then put on a 3/4" Melamine 24'X24" and it held very well! Now, I use a 3/4" Ultra-lite MDF wasteboard then a 3/8" wasteboard. Last time, I caulked the wasteboard to the Spoilboard and the Spoilboard to the Table. Wow! That sealed things up. I was also able to flycut my wasteboard down below 1/8" without the wasteboard buckling/warping. It may not be right,but it works for me.

Brian
JohnJenkins

Post by JohnJenkins »

We use a 1" MDF 5' x 8' and no spoilboard. Just re-surface the 1" about twice a job. works pretty well, with virtually no part losses. I can usually re-surface the 1" about 30 to 40 times before changing Wasteboards.
John Jenkins

Coastal Cabinetry & Millworks, Inc.