Getting to HOT!!!

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Thom Davies
Guru Member
Company Name: Dawn Group

Getting to HOT!!!

Post by Thom Davies »

Hey How's it going?

I got a prob. i can not find the right feed speed for a 10mm 3 flute compression bit. I got an onsrud 60-126mw and got told that i could run it @ 18RPM and 18 meters per m. Prob is @ that rate it's noisey and juddery and thats useless. Same cutter @ 16RPM and 14 Meters per m the heat tranfers to the tool holder and in to the router head and it cant tool change cos it gets stuck!

Please i need some advise quickly please as i have 300 sheets to cut in less than a week and i cant for the life of me find the right spot.

Thanks for any help

Thom Davies
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Re: Getting to HOT!!!

Post by Will Williamson »

you didn,t say what material you were cutting . are you sure that the bit is sharpe ? Will it schave your thumb nail? is your exhaust removing the saw dust ? are you cutting through in a single pass?Keep the rpms at 18000and use the feed rate override to experiment with the fed rate . Since I run inches per miniute I'm not sure of the meters per .Is this a solid carbide bit ?
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Thom Davies
Guru Member

Post by Thom Davies »

Sorry will

Im cutting 18mm MDF in 1 pass. yes they are sharp, they are brand new cutters, we have very good dust stuck up
Glenn Van Reason
Guru Member
Company Name: TBA
Location: ORANGE NSW AUSTRALIA every now and then between trips lol

Post by Glenn Van Reason »

Hi Thom, don't know if this will help, we used the Onsrud cutters on a machine at a place I worked at a while ago, while I can't remember the exact router specs or the speeds we ran them, I remember we use to run the bit at 100% through 16mm chipboard then with the same settings, back it down 50% - 55% when cutting MDF (16 or 18). Both were cut in single pass.
This message made from recycled electrons.
Will Williamson
Guru Member

I have the onstrud catalog Using mdf cutting data the best I can figure is 540 inches per minute or 13.7 meters per inch
feed rate (ipm)=rpm x# of cutting edges x chip load 18000 x 3 x.01
chip load = .014 -.016
Depth of cut= 2 x diameter= reduce chip load by 25% = .01
This 540 ipm concurs with my experience using 3 flute vortex. No heat buildup at all . I can touch the bit with my bare hand at end of cycle
In my conversations with tech support I was told I did not need to use compression spiral on Mdf at all
Will

Thom Davies
Guru Member

Post by Thom Davies »

Cheers Glenn

we ran a sheet and @ 14m and 15RPM and the tool holder and cutter where cold as (its like 5 degrees c here in chch) but the tool holder was kinda like stuck in the router. Pressed the green button and after about 5-10 sec's it pop's out with a loud bang.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Thom Davies
Will Williamson
Guru Member

mine makes that loud pop occasionally on the first tool change make sure cone inside spindle is clean and tool holders are clean get a flashlite and look up inside I scour the inside with grey scotchbrite also the taper of tool holder I.v e been told not to do that but it is the only thing that I can find to remove residue any one else got any suggestions?
Will

Thom Davies
Guru Member

Post by Thom Davies »

Yeah the inside is clean and so are the tool holders. WE brought cleaning gel and a tool that fits in to the cone of the router.
Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Paul Ford »

Hey Thom,
I have always used a 12mm cutter for the exact same reasons as you are experiencing at the moment. I cut at the same speed as using the 10mm cutter in 16mm particle board and everything seems to work perfectly.
The popping noise could be simply due to the moisture in the air with the temperature you have there at the moment. I'm not sure what you can do about it other than clean your taper and tool holder daily to keep the dust build up off it. I use WD40 and scotch brite then make sure I dry everything completely. With the moisture and heat from the cutter it would be making the dust compress and stick to the tool which wouldnt be helping.
Thom Davies
Guru Member

Post by Thom Davies »

Hey Paul

What brand of 12mm cutter are you using and how many flutes is it? And what feed speed/RPM

Can you PM me your cell number if that ok? or is it the same thats on your card you gave me @ awisa?
Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Paul Ford »

Hi Thom,
They are onsrud from tungsten and tool in Whangarei. I can't remember the feed rates etc off the top of my head so I will have to call and find out as I'm not working with the router anymore. I have moved back to Hawkes Bay.
Ill get in touch with you soon. My mobil number is 021 723 922. (Is that the number that was on the card?)
Will Williamson
Guru Member

Thom
Are you using hearing protection ? Put on some hearing protection and the screaming noise and loud pops won't bother you so much . Turn the machine up and let it rip. You are only intrested in the quality of the cut and if the bit is heating up. I also bumped up to the 1/2" bit right away we have been cutting one inch mdf in a single pass 18000rpm @600 IPM and it is unnerving if you aren't wearing ear protection
Will

Thom Davies
Guru Member

Post by Thom Davies »

Cheers Paul

Yeah thats the same number. So how come u back in HB? Where you working now? Who is programming da thermwood in the other place now? U need to do a trip round the south island sometime! So should every1 on this forum!! LOL

My guy has found a good feed speed and RPM with the 9.5mm cutter and the size of the panels we cutting are 594 and with a 12mm cutter we cant get 2 on a sheet. as we call the sheets 1215 X 2435 in size.

Cheers

Thom Davies
Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Paul Ford »

Hey Thom,
We moved back to Hawkes Bay to be closer to my wifes family and because we love it here.
You may be able to use a 12mm cutter if you select nest to edge of sheet? Sounds like you have it all sorted anyway :)
I'm working for a company in Napier, Sydaz Joinery. They don't have a router so its back to remembering how it used to be done! Its a challenge but its good.
The owner of the Thermwood Router in Rotorua is doing his own programming. He also sends alot of his plans to me to draw up for him as we arranged a contract rate. It works out good for a little extra pocket money :)
Thom Davies
Guru Member

Post by Thom Davies »

Are you still doing work for doug?

I bet u'll talk them in to buying a thermwood in no time!!! LOL

Man must be hard on the floor with those cold mornings! While im in my warm office! lol