MDF DOORS

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

MDF DOORS

Post by Damon Nabors »

Is anyone cutting MDF Doors on the machine using ecab software and custom tooling. I am trying to cut MDF doors with two tools. I am trying to use the interior and exterior custom tool to create the profile needed. I can profile the outer edge of the door on the shaper if needed.

This is the profile I am trying to use.

Thanks for the info.
Damon
Attachments
amana tool.jpg
amana tool.jpg (46.45 KiB) Viewed 6796 times
Damon Nabors
Joe Soto
Guru Member
Company Name: Fancyridge Wood Products LLC

Re: MDF DOORS

Post by Joe Soto »

Damon, I have tried that, just offset the outer tool in to get the bead profile you want. The only problem I ran into was the arch doors since the outer tool only follows the outline.
Joe
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

Joe,
Thanks for your help. We have been trying to do this but with no luck. I used the custom interior tool for the raised panel profile and the custom exterior tool for the bead that is next to the raised panel. The problem I am running into is the machine when nesting the doors tries to make a profile cut off the edge of the table.

Look at this graph and see what you think. The bead tool is trying to make the outline cut along that large white box. Any idea what I am doing wrong?
Attachments
graph.jpg
graph.jpg (109.24 KiB) Viewed 6743 times
Damon Nabors
Joe Soto
Guru Member

Post by Joe Soto »

Damon, For mine I used Whiteside 5720 for the interior cut set at 2.8 on the layout tab and Whiteside 5610 offset 2.5 inward when I selected the tool. It looks as if yours may be offset outward. Joe
Justin Melhiser

Post by Justin Melhiser »

Damon
Our software engineers are working on this door issue you are having. As soon as we hear anything we will let you know.
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

Thanks Justin, I was just curious if anyone else had tried this or not.

Damon
Damon Nabors
Joe Soto
Guru Member

Post by Joe Soto »

Damon, I haven't tried to cut any this way since CN had the profile modeler integrated into it, I'm getting the same problem now. I even tried to offset the tool outward thinking it may be working backward, no luck.
Joe
Scott G Vaal
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Scott G Vaal »

Gentlemen,

There is an issue with Profile Modeler doing this additional offset incorrectly for the exterior profile when set to use "Custom Tool". This is listed and will be resolved for a future release of PM.

I got Damon to cut the doors he needed by using a cabinet saved with just a back, applied the 2 paths with the part editor and set constraints to the paths. With this cabinet (back only) saved, he batched them with all the sizes needed and cut all his doors.
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

Joe thanks for your input, and help. I would like to thank all the Programmers and people that helped us figure this one out. I personally like the looks of the Modeled doors but the time it takes is an issue sometimes. With the custom tools, I was able to cut all 26 doors in just over 33 minutes at 60% feed rate.

Once again thanks for your help.

Damon Nabors
Damon Nabors