Profile Modeler part identification and other issues.

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

David Hall
eCabinets Beta Tester

Profile Modeler part identification and other issues.

Post by David Hall »

So I have some MDF doors to model and the design requires two different tool groups.

Since the doors have boring on them, I decided to change the doors to slab doors, and let CN nest and bore them. Now with the "blanks" cut and bored, I can run them through profile modeler and skip the perimeter cuts.

Then I sent the original doors (with the modeling) to profile modeler. Made the changes for the non-default tool group, and generated the code.

Problem 1:
Profile modeler creates if statements that crash THM. i.e. If [filename] ="Chabot doors modeled 051408 - left hinge double door - MDF" then .... Is just too long.
No problem, just a little G-code editing to remove 14 "if" statements and I'm on my way. Had to edit the file to change 14 Z-shift commands anyhow.

Problem 2: Now I have 14 doors that the code identifies as either "Filename - left hinge door" or "filename - right hinge door". So I get out the tape measure and measure each door to figure out which code to run.

Suggestions:
1. It would be helpful if the profile modeler code used the cabinet name or number to help identify the part.
2. It would be helpful if profile modeler didn't create code that crashes THM.
3. It would be helpful if I didn't have to use profile modeler to set tools and/or tool groups. Ideally the tool group would be specified in ecabs when the .tol file is created, and the whole job could just be run through CN.
4. It would be helpful if there was a way when running modeled doors in CN to run the modeled side as the front side operation. Currently, if a door has hardware boring, the modeled side is always the flip-op side. It is much more efficient to let a sheet of modeling run for several hours and then quickly run the flip ops. If this were addressed by allowing the creation of reverse "one sided" material it would solve a few other problems. i.e. "one side" material always machines with the inside of the cabinet face-up, creating flip-ops for all other machining. Reverse one-sided material would always machine with the outside of the cabinet face-up.
5. It would be helpful if profile modeler was made aware of the wasteboard concept.

Regards,
Dave
David Hall
Hall's Edge Inc.
eCabinets Machining Services
http://www.HallsEdge.com
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re: Profile Modeler part identification and other issues.

Post by Damon Nabors »

David,
I would think that the profile cut is done as a flip op for hold down purposes. If you model out the top and then flip it, you do not have as much surface to hold down to the table. Just my thoughts, I certainly don't know for sure.
Damon Nabors