Help for a new machine owner

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Paul Rollins

Help for a new machine owner

Post by Paul Rollins »

The machine came in and the electrician connected it the same day. We turned it on to make sure everything worked and found several air line situations that needed to be addressed. We designed and cut a curved shelf panel for a bar cabinet that we needed so we could see the machine run. The technician came from thermwood and installed the machine and replaced fixed the minor things that needed attention(the machine was previously owned). The machine ran perfectly. He left and we loaded the falloff from the bar cabinet and tried to cut the same part from the same sheet with the same tool. Disaster. The material is blowing out on the top and bottom. It is burning the bit, etc. This is the same program that we ran before perfectly. I know that this is probably something simple that i am doing wrong, but I don't know what it is because I do not remember anything being changed.

Any help appreciated.
Paul Rollins
Attachments
This view shows the clean cut from two days before and the cut from when we tried to run it today.
This view shows the clean cut from two days before and the cut from when we tried to run it today.
mdf cut.JPG (30.73 KiB) Viewed 5083 times
Paul Rollins

Re: Help for a new machine owner

Post by Paul Rollins »

1/2 inch compression
S18000
F600
3/4 MDF

These are the numbers

thanks
jerry johnson

Post by jerry johnson »

Paul, check the rotation of the router motor. 8)
Paul Rollins

Post by Paul Rollins »

When I put a piece of paper on the tool holder threads, the paper pulls up toward the motor. It is turning clockwise if you look down on the spindle. I think this correct. I know that this is a simple mistake somewhere, I just havent figured it out yet.
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

Not all machines will run clockwise and counter clockwise. If you are not sure if the bit is turning correctly, remove the dust hood and turn the spindle on with a program and look to see which direction the tool is turning.

It looks like in the picture, but I am not sure, that you are cutting across the grain. I have had similar problems with blow out and tear out with old material or import material that has been subject to high humidity. I have more trouble with 5x5 Baltic Birch than anything else. (4x8 Baltic cuts better for me, can't figure that one out myself) If the material is cut within a few days of coming into the shop it seems like its ok, but if I have some that has been there a week or two in the rack, It will spinter like the image you included.

Good luck with the new machine,

Damon
Damon Nabors
Paul Rollins

Post by Paul Rollins »

Thanks for the help. The machine was running some parts with M4 and some with M3, I don't know why. I edited the program and replaced the M4's with the M3's and the parts have run brilliantly. The label printer had a loose wire inside where it reads for the labels to come through and so I fixed that and now the machine prints, runs, etc. I am very pleased with this service and support from Thermwood even though I bought the machine used instead of new from the factory.

Good Forum

Thanks again,
Paul