Boring hinge holes on outside sourced doors

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Dale Wills
Company Name: none

Boring hinge holes on outside sourced doors

Post by Dale Wills »

Hi,

We order in quite a few timber and vinyl wrap doors that do not come with the hinge holes bored in them. We would like to use the G902 and simply place the doors on the table and bore out the hinges. Is this the best way? I need a little direction on how to tackle this. Any help is much appreciated. Cheers,

Dale
Todd Miller

Re: Boring hinge holes on outside sourced doors

Post by Todd Miller »

Dale Wills wrote:Hi,

We order in quite a few timber and vinyl wrap doors that do not come with the hinge holes bored in them. We would like to use the G902 and simply place the doors on the table and bore out the hinges. Is this the best way? I need a little direction on how to tackle this. Any help is much appreciated. Cheers,

Dale
Dale,
You will need to draw up the door in ecabs, if you haven't already. Then write the TWD file.
Next, In control nesting>settings>Fence/Fixture locations. Change the fence location to a G902. (This will post the code out in the Flip op location) Remember to change back when running sheets.
Next, In control nesting>settings>nesting parameters area, check the "nest to edge of sheet" and in the cut parameters area, check the "No outline cuts" box.

Note: This will be for running one door at a time. You can load multiple doors into CN but just have one door checked when writing the NC code.

Try this on a scrap piece and measure for acuracy before cutting finished door.
Dale Wills
Company Name: none

Post by Dale Wills »

Todd,

Thanks for that mate. I figured most of that info but did not give 'nest to edge of sheet' a thought. Cheers.
Dale
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

I would think that a hinge boring machine would be the fastest method. I drilled around 40 doors in about 10 minutes this week. I have found that although the router will perform a lot of different task, it is not always the fastest tool for the job.
Damon Nabors
Terry Davis
Company Name: Penn Laminates

Post by Terry Davis »

I have to agree with Damon on this one, not to mention most hinge suppliers will give you the boring machine if you buy the hinges.
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

Hey Terry,
I might have to buy some hinges at IWF and take home a hinge machine back to Australia.
You Yanks are a real generous bunch
Neville :)
Neville Australia
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael S Murray »

Hey Neville,
Yes, get a hinge boring AND insertion machine, preferably one that has air clamps, air pistons for drilling and hinge insetion.
We just sent out a casework job that had several hundred doors on it that could have very well been drilled for hinge cups on the machine, but we still prefer to use the hinge bore and installation machine for several reasons.
Do you guys have Hafale? If so, hit up your sales rep, get a $7k machine at a steep discount or free if you buy salice hinges from them. KInd of a well known secret :D :D
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com
Gary Urlacher

Post by Gary Urlacher »

I agree that a hinge boring machine and inserter is the best way to go. It will bore faster than the CNC and also insert the hinge.
You can bore a door and install hinges in the time it takes the router to change bits.

Gary Urlacher
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

Hi Guys,
Yes you are right. Drilling the holes on the drilling machine is very easy and quick. I think we will go that way rather than use the cnc drilling.
We do have a loan drill press from Hettich.
I did see a hinge machine at a trade fair that can be configured for any hinge type. It even automatically inserted it. Its a shame I don't do a 1000 doors a day to make it worth while.

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Marius Gouws
Company Name: Plett Roofing

Post by Marius Gouws »

Morning Neville
I agree, drilling the holes on a hinge drill machine is far quicker. But if you only have one machine and a client of yours using a different hinge than your machine is set-up, then you want maybe to drill the client doors on the cnc machine rather to go and setup the hinge drill and then have change it back again.
This is then that you want to make full use of AFL.
Here is an AFL prog I made just for that. Keep in mind:
1 Our machine default in metric
2 T6 = 8mm drill
3 T7 = 35mm pothinge drill
4 Can only drill max of 4 holes (but you can easily modify it to drill 5 holes)
Have a look at it , you can modify it to meet you machine configuration.
Hope it helps
Afl is great, I make V-groove and v-groove shaker doors and a lot of other stuff with afl, that calculates the groove spacings and panel size for you. If you have to use eCabinets for stuff like that you have to make for every different size door a complete new door from scratch.
Attachments
FERRARI HINGE-HOLE DRILL PROG.zip
(1.55 KiB) Downloaded 356 times