Nesting and added sheets

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Glenn Van Reason
Guru Member
Company Name: TBA
Location: ORANGE NSW AUSTRALIA every now and then between trips lol

Nesting and added sheets

Post by Glenn Van Reason »

We have our material set up in eCabinets as 2410x1210. If I get a part that is too big I measure the sheets and add a sheet of that size. We do this because our sheets tend to vary in size so 99% of the time our jobs cut out fine. Every now and then we need to cut something 2400 long which won't cut from a 2410 sheet. So I measure the sheet and find it is say 2418x1215 so I put this in as a sheet. The strange thing that happens is if I know I have one part that needs to be this size and I add a sheet sometimes it won't be the first sheet ( the added one) that cuts the larger piece and so I get an error that the piece won't nest. Sometimes the larger part won;t turn up until the third or fourth sheet meaning that I have to add four sheets in of this size just to cut the one piece. Why is this?
Also while I am on adding sheets in the add sheet dialog box can we have an option to specify the number of added sheets. That way we can just tyoe the size the once and add 10 - 20 whatever amount of sheets we need instead of doing it one at a time...very tedious.
Thanks
Glenn
This message made from recycled electrons.
Thom Davies
Guru Member
Company Name: Dawn Group

Re: Nesting and added sheets

Post by Thom Davies »

Hey Glenn

Have you tried having "nest to end of sheet" ticked in settings menu?

Where are you working now?

Cheers

Thom Davies
Glenn Van Reason
Guru Member

Hey Thom, yeah I have use the nest to edge of sheet, I don't like to as some of our edges are not real good, I still like to get a little trimmed off a sheet. I suppose I just find it funny that if I nest and it says I can't cut this piece and then I give it one sheet the right size it uses this to cut other shorter stuff and says I can't cut this big piece and does this until it gets to a sheet that it wants to cut the big piece out of and then is happy...I have installers that do this, they alway cut up the longer pieces first and then run short on the job! lol
As far as work I'm freelancing at the moment, eCabs gun for hire lol so traveling a bit...
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

Just a thought, but could you not just filter out that part and nest it onto your added sheet and then renest the rest of the parts along with the new off fall.

Damon
Damon Nabors
Glenn Van Reason
Guru Member

Damon: - yes that would work.

It's juts my inquisitive mind that asks this, I suppose though that a situation could happen where you have one slightly larger sheet that you want to cut a large part out of and then the rest from the standard size, this issue would then be a problem, ( and Damon's get around would fix that)
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

It does get frustrating at times. I had a part today that would not cut. It had parts editor cuts and I took it into Pm to verify tool path and then took it into Cn to nest several of them and it would not write the code without errors every where, but I could run them one at a time in PM. ( with minor Z-Axis modifications) Sometimes you just got to stand back and take a few deep breaths, but as long as I can figure a work around I am Ok with it. Just got to keep the machine running and generating $$$$.
Damon Nabors
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

Damon are you doing wood working to make money?
Best of luck mate
Lol

Neville
Neville Australia
Marius Gouws
Company Name: Plett Roofing

Post by Marius Gouws »

Morning Glen
Put the X and Y measurements in for the first sheet you want to add and then select "Accept Sheet" Now it add that sheet to the "Sheet(s) List"
Now if you want to add another sheet with the same length and width, just double click the one in the "Sheet(s) List" and select "Accept Sheet" again and it will place another sheet of the same length and width in the "Sheet(s) List" Go on like that till you have the amount you are looking for .
When I want to nest a part that is almost as big as the sheet I do the following:
In Control nesting go to setting and tick "nest to the edge of the sheet" (G902, fence location)
Take the fence and put my waste board against my fence on the inside, now I know where my cutter is going to cut. Place the sheet on the table but pull it 3mm to 5mm over the edge of the waste board on the side and end of the table (X and Y) Now when you cut the part it will clean your edges.
Cheers
Glenn Van Reason
Guru Member

Morning Marius,
That's exactly how I add sheets to a nest of a difference size........here's the problem I regularly do 50-60 sheet nests, which I have to add one at a time......not fun. A simple x y measyrement and then a quantity would speed this up greatly.

Also with nest to egde this is ok but I would only like to nest the one sheet that has the large part to the edge and the rest be set in by the normal cutter thickness as our sheets are mostly always a bit ratty on the edges.