Control nesting future update

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Gary Urlacher

Control nesting future update

Post by Gary Urlacher »

I have come up with something as a wish list for control nesting. Quite often small parts will
end up at the edge of a sheet. For the most part this is OK and I do not loose these parts but sometimes
I do and I can see that problem when I nest the parts.

Some nesting software allows you to edit the parts (Drag them around) on the sheet prior to writing the code.

I would ask you to put this on a wish list for the future version of the software.

One other thing, when I make a 90deg base corner cabinet, The 4" wide stretchers are cut out as if they are large parts.
I have to be on my game and manually slow the machine down when it cuts these parts. I have all my small part
settings correct but it treats these parts as large parts.

Thanks

Gary Urlacher
Todd Miller

Re: Control nesting future update

Post by Todd Miller »

Gary Urlacher wrote:I have come up with something as a wish list for control nesting. Quite often small parts will
end up at the edge of a sheet. For the most part this is OK and I do not loose these parts but sometimes
I do and I can see that problem when I nest the parts.

Some nesting software allows you to edit the parts (Drag them around) on the sheet prior to writing the code.

I would ask you to put this on a wish list for the future version of the software.
This is in the works for a future Control Nesting Version. But I am unsure on the timeline for this feature.
Gary Urlacher wrote:One other thing, when I make a 90deg base corner cabinet, The 4" wide stretchers are cut out as if they are large parts. I have to be on my game and manually slow the machine down when it cuts these parts. I have all my small part settings correct but it treats these parts as large parts.
What are your size settings for your double pass option compared to the actual parts being cut out? FYI Make sure you are running CN version 5.41.
Gary Urlacher

Post by Gary Urlacher »

Thanks for the reply Todd and sorry for the delay in answering your questions
First off, I think I am still running 5.40. I did download the update but I have not installed it.
I had better get on that.

As for double pass settings, Width = 5" and the other is set to 600 square in.

I hope this is of some help.

Cheers,

Gary
Todd Miller

Post by Todd Miller »

Gary,
Try changing the width to 4" in the double pass settings. Then recut the top stretcher. This should give you a double pass.
Gary Urlacher

Post by Gary Urlacher »

I will try but I do not think this will work. The width of the stretcher is 4.5" including tenon so it should have cut a double pass.
Really what it seems like to me is that it is treating the part like a large square then adding additional cuts to make the L shape.
Do to the size of the part if you were to remove the additional cuts I am speaking about, it would fall into the single pass
part size. It seems like it is not taking the part size after the additional cuts into account when it makes the double pass
calculation.

The front strecher on the corner cabinet is the same shape but overall it falls under the 600 square inch so it makes a double pass.

I do not have this problem with drawer parts or strait parts but this L shape strecher for the corner cabinet seems to be handled
differant than the other parts and I am not sure why.

If you have the ability there, Make a 36 x 36 corner cabinet with 4in stretchers and cut out the rear stretcher,
I am sure you will see the same result as I am having.

Gary
Gary Urlacher

Post by Gary Urlacher »

One more thing I forgot to mention is:

One thing that is leading me to think that it is being treated like a square part with an extra cut is to look at the print out
of the nest. For me it is placing the part on the sheet as a square judging by the part label location on the sheet itself.

If you can nest this, you should see what I mean by this.

Gary
Todd Miller

Post by Todd Miller »

Gary,
If you look on the "load" screen in control nesting, you will see that the dimensions for that part are taken from the total area of the part. I see what you mean and will let our programmer know. Thanks for your input!