5 by 5 Baltic Birch

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

5 by 5 Baltic Birch

Post by Damon Nabors »

Just curious about something and thought I would ask for opinions here. I have started cutting quite a few dovetail drawers for other customers and we are using the 5 x 5 BB. It is much cheaper to purchase this way. When placing it on my 5 x 10 table I have to cover up the other end with something to help the vacuum. I was just wondering if there was a way to program the controller to allow 2 sheets of 5x5 on a 5x10 table and nest the parts correctly so that you would cut your loading time in half plus the vacuum problem would be solves as well.

Damon
Damon Nabors
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re: 5 by 5 Baltic Birch

Post by Damon Nabors »

Now that I think about it, could we make a material that is 5x10 and then enter a void in the material at the controller where the seem would be and then the parts would nest correctly.
Sounds to me like it would work.
Damon Nabors
Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael Kowalczyk »

Hey Damon, Sounds like you solved your own question and in less than 2 minutes. Excellent idea. Mine is a 5x8 so I just cut a 3x5 blank of melamine to give it an edge to lean on and cover the bleeder board. Keep them coming.
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

HP-Elite Quad Core Q6700-4 MB ram, Nvidia GeForce 512 MB Dual HP 22" flat panels, Windows 7 ultimate 64bit SP1
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

Somebody want to take a guess at what happened here. Cut everything as smooth as glass, but did not leave any skins although I set them at .020 skin thickness because I have a couple of narrow parts that are guaranteed to move. It cut all the parts, made a strange move over across the top of my drawer box parts, cut them in half and snapped the bit off when I estopped it to prevent any more parts from getting cut in half.
drawer box error 002 (2).jpg
drawer box error 002 (2).jpg (109.61 KiB) Viewed 9006 times
drawer box error 001 (2).jpg
drawer box error 001 (2).jpg (112.04 KiB) Viewed 9008 times
drawer box error 003 (2).jpg
drawer box error 003 (2).jpg (100.43 KiB) Viewed 9004 times
Damon Nabors
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

another
drawer box error 004 (2).jpg
drawer box error 004 (2).jpg (91.43 KiB) Viewed 9007 times
Damon Nabors
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

I forgot to mention that the block stop did not stop it after it cut the first drawer in half. That is why I e-stopped the machine. It was on a path to ?????????
Damon Nabors
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Is this the first time you've run the dovetails?
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

This particular batch of drawers, yes. But not the first time I have cut drawers. I have probably cut a couple hundred drawers since getting the router last November.

The drawer I used to create the batch of drawers is my standard drawer that I have saved. I just click and change the size in the Batch Area, write the twd and viola. Only this time it goofed up. ( I am trying to be polite :lol: )

We cut 4 sheets of drawers yesterday with no problems at all.

We did start the morning off with the gantry making a poping noise as is moved back and forth the x-axis, but we have had problems with this before. Blew all the dust off the machine and found some in one of the Belt covers and it seemed to stop after we cleaned it out but after that we cut some parts and everything was fine. We had just got through cutting a few cabinets prior to the drawers and they came out ok as well. I am sure there is a problem in the file, but my question is, how are we suppost to know when there is a problem until after we have made dumpster food out of the material?
Damon Nabors
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Michael Kowalczyk wrote:Hey Damon, Sounds like you solved your own question and in less than 2 minutes...
I thought he had gotten into my pain meds and was just talking to himself. :joker:
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

DanEpps wrote:
I thought he had gotten into my pain meds and was just talking to himself. :joker:
Dan, there is some good conversation going on with the voices. :joker:
Damon Nabors
Justin Melhiser

Post by Justin Melhiser »

Damon
When you select use tabs it will not leave a skin on the parts. We are looking at the use tabs function in Control Nesting and why your parts cut the way they did. I will let you know what we find out. Thank you
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Damon Nabors wrote:...Dan, there is some good conversation going on with the voices...
Don't laugh too much. Yesterday I went for my first epidural steroid injection. They gave me two crushed pills and said hold the powder underneath my tongue. After she got my blood pressure, she gave me a tiny medicine cup of water and told me to swallow the pills then go back to the waiting room.

The pills were sedatives and within a few minutes I started getting drowsy. They must have been pretty good because a couple of times I woke up a bit startled from my dreams. Once I caught myself reaching for something that wasn't there when I woke up. :joker:

I guess the good thing is that everyone else in the room had the same two pills so I didn't look like a complete idiot.
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

DanEpps wrote: They must have been pretty good because a couple of times I woke up a bit startled from my dreams. Once I caught myself reaching for something that wasn't there when I woke up. :joker:
Dan, What did she look like? :joker:
Damon Nabors
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

I don't remember???
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael S Murray »

Damon, get the 4x8 baltic birch, my yield went up a ton, for me anyway I always had a 12" pc left on the end or something like that. I had to do some searching, but when I found it , I bought about 5 bunks. I am cutting into the last bunk soon and am getting ready to look for more.

As far as your boo-boo, I have had that happen twice in thousands of drawers, once right in front of someone I was showing off for, dovetail bit came right out and notched into the flip op bracket, never did figure that one out and just happy no onloookers got hurt! The other time it made a crazy cut like yours only a v-shape. ON that one you could actually zoom in on the nest and see the cut path.... I hope you didnt hex me making me talk about it because I cant remember the last time I had any problems cutting drawers and I cut a bunch for other shops around here, even if I dont cut there cab parts.

Also, I always skin my dovetails,.040 havent had to rcut on e in a long long time. Also I have a extra dust shroud without the brushes as I beleive the brushes being as stiff as they are were helping move small parts around.
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com