Flip Op

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Gary Urlacher

Flip Op

Post by Gary Urlacher »

I have been avoiding flip operations but I just finished a project that I should have used the flip operation.
If it worked, I would have saved lots of time.

Having never done one on the machine, I do not know how it works. I understand that when a part needs a
flip operation, a bar code would print for that part. After the file has run (I assume) is when I would scan the part
with the bar code reader and place the part againsted the flip fence that I have then press start.

My problem is I have not seen the label for a flip op part or have I created a part with a flip operation so
I really have no idea what to do as far as lining up the part on the L shape fence etc.

Does the label tell me? Is there a certain way the label has to go on the part?

Etc etc.

Can someone explain how a flip op gets set up on the table a little more? I looked but can't find it in the manuals.

Thanks in advance,

Gary Urlacher
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Corlane Custom Cabinetry LLC

Re: Flip Op

Post by Jeremy Schiffer »

Hi Gary,

Even though I'm a newbie with my machine, I've become intimately familiar with flip-ops (some intentional, some not! :wink: )
The part label is identical to any other label except for the bar code and a number under the bar code (which you can type in instead of using the bar code reader)

Anyway, when the job is finished cutting, it will then prompt you to either type exit or F for flip ops. Type F, then scan (or type in) the code on the part. Flip the part about the X direction and put it against the fence. After that, I put pieces of 1/4" ply against it to keep it from moving.
http://www.corlanecabinetry.com

Intel Core i7-5820 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

Just a couple of points to add to Jeremy's statement. Your labels are printed and they will have a bar code on them just like your offalls. Always place your labels on the lower left hand corner of your part. At the end of your program after running all of your sheets, that is the time to perform the flip ops. One thing you will need to know is: In the settings screen, do you have your flip ops set to be run with or without the waste board. Normally the flips are done with the waste board removed. This is for better hold down. When you are ready to do the flip op, place your part on the table and flip the part LEFT over RIGHT. Now the label is on the lower right of the part facing down. I also normally take some scrap plywood or plastic sheeting to place over the remainder of the table to prevent vacuum loss. One other thing, if you end up with some stretchers that may have flip ops or narrow parts, you will probably want to use double sided duck tape to hold the part in place. THEY WILL MOVE.

Good luck
Damon Nabors
jerry johnson

Post by jerry johnson »

Just a note for small pieces. I made a flip-op fence out of 1/2" prefinished nine ply apple plywood that I can leave in place while the machine performs the operation. Then I place some scrap pieces of the apple plywood around the piece being machined and it doesn't move. I tried double sided tape but it was a mess and pulled material off of my parts and the spoil board but it does work. My method works great on pieces as small as 3" x 3". 8)