Dovetail tool deph problem

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

DanFecteau
eCabinets Beta Tester

Dovetail tool deph problem

Post by DanFecteau »

My dovetail tool always goes into the material a little too much, that reults in a little gap on the drawer edge and we have to apply a little bit of putty and sand it. Do I solve this issue with the radius crunch into the control nest settings ? Mine is set at 0.06". Thank you.
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re: Dovetail tool deph problem

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Dan,

You can slightly adjust the daylight value on that tool. You need to subtract from the daylight value in order to get a shallower cut. I have found the best results are to leave a very small edge just skimming the surface.

Hope this helps,
Forrest
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member
Company Name: Top Notch Cabinets

Re: Dovetail tool deph problem

Post by Georgi Baltov »

Dan,

what kind of material are you using for your dovetail dbxs? The one we use is Russian Baltic birch and is really good material, the only issue is that is varies a lot in thickness. I usually let the bit cut deeper and then I just put the parts through the drum sander until I get a nice joint. One good thing about that is that then the inside of the box doesn't need to be sanded and saves lots of time for the finishers.

We tried different materials that are more consistent but then they lack the structural stability.

That's our workaround. Hope it helps