Cope & Sticking Entry Doors on Model 40

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Chris Robinson
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Chris Robinson

Cope & Sticking Entry Doors on Model 40

Post by Chris Robinson »

Hi,

Is there anyone cope and sticking entry doors with their Thermwood? The doors that I'm thinking about processing on the cnc are 1.75" thick. We have several doors coming up that have radiused top and mid rails.

If you are stick and coping entry doors, what tooling are you using? I heard that FS Tool has a tool body with inserts but the od on the tool is 10".

I would like to have the inserts cut to match our existing moulder tooling. I have an ISO30 spindle for using 1.25" shaper cutters and thought about a tool body and either making knives for the cnc or using our moulder knives. But I think the smalled diameter tool body is 5" but I'm very concerned about the overall weight. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re: Cope & Sticking Entry Doors on Model 40

Post by Damon Nabors »

I would think that you would have to have a modified tool holder to handle a tool that large in diameter. I thing the largest tool my CS45 will handle is in the 3" range.
Damon Nabors
Chris Robinson
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Chris Robinson »

Damon,

It turns out that it isn't so simple to modify the tool holders to accomodate anything greater than 3" dia. We would have to do manual tool changes to/from the large diameter tools. I have seen videos of cnc's machining entry door cope/stick with tooling much smaller than 10" dia. but I'm having a hard time finding out who the tool maker was.

Thanks,
Chris
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Regarding the larger dia. tooling, I believe that I've mentioned this before on another posting, but if you have larger dia. tooling (larger than accepted by standard barstyle holder) that you want to utilize with your Thermwood router, one option you would have is to contact Thermwood's retrofit dept. (1-800-221-3865 or email: retrofits@thermwood.com) to see if you could have a vertical load tool holder made to hold the specialized tool. However, the other concern you will want to watch closely is that the custom tool is very well balanced so that damaged is not done to your router motor when using this tool. Along with the good balance will be that you need to ensure to run the tool at the manufacturers rated RPM and also that the RPM rating falls under the HP rating of your current router motor which is being ran on the Thermwood. You can contact Thermwood Field Service dept. (1-800-221-3865 or email: service@thermwood.com) with your router motor specs. to get a better idea of the minimum RPM which you should run with your particular router so that you maintain needed HP to cut and not damage router motor.
Chris Robinson
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Chris Robinson »

Ryan, I did contact THM's Retrofit dept. twice. They were going to work up a cost to retrofit one or all 4 of the bar style tool changers to accomodate larger tooling. I haven't rec'd any further info as of yet.

Thanks,
Chris
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Thanks for the info. Chris. I will contact them directly to see what could have happened to the communications. I appologize for the delay.
Chris Robinson
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Chris Robinson »

Thanks Ryan, no problem. Holidays always screws things up! The tool holder issue is seperate from the "Tooling" issue.

Chris