Probe Points

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Zach Froble

Probe Points

Post by Zach Froble »

I read in the Probe Application PDF that you can upload points and info from the probe to your cad system. I have my points program created, but I can't figure out how to upload them into my cad program. Has anyone tried this? Is there a certain file extension that has to be added to the point/boundary file?

Zach F
Lyndan Designs
Machining and CAD Services
Ryan Hochgesang

Re: Probe Points

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

I've also responded directly to Zach on this topic, however thought I'd share info. here for anyone interested in this same topic.

It is likely that you can contact your particular CAD/CAM vendor and/or go on-line to find more information on reverse/backplotting points from the txt type file which you can create on your Thermwood router by using the Probe or Hand Held programmer to pick various points from an actual part fixtured to working table. Here at Thermwood, we've done this particular type of operation by taking point file into MasterCam and using a reverse post processor that allows us to load the point file, run it through the post file to create points in MasterCam and then ultimately save as a MasterCam file to allow further manipulation or toolpathing. This same concept most likely applies to most major CAD/CAM packages.
Zach Froble

Re: Probe Points

Post by Zach Froble »

Ryan,

I did find the answer to the question. In the Cam portion of the my Cad program there is an option to Create Cad from NC/Post. Worked out great. I took the Boundary program created by the control and probe, loaded it into the cad program, cleaned up the lines to form splines and arcs, and cut the part off the dxf file.

Now I have another toy to play with, if I can find some spare time :D

Zach
Lyndan Designs
Machining and CAD Services