Siemens IR Module Fault

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Jeff Sallows

Siemens IR Module Fault

Post by Jeff Sallows »

Good morning, I have a quick question for the Thermwood team. We have been getting an error every once in a while stating "Lockout Switch open, Siemens IR module Fault (Input 72)" Our original fix was to bypass the tool lockout switch which seemed to work, so we bought a new switch. All was fine for about a week, then the problem persisted. We were able to temporarily solve the problem by shutting down the machine for a 10 minutes then starting it back up and it would work again. Now this morning that isn't the case when we hit the NC Reset switch the emergency stop bar flash off, then back on as if the lockout switch is on. I have ordered a new Profibus Enable Circuit so see if that works. Does anyone have any other suggestions , or is my next step the IR Module itself?? Thanks in advance

Jeff
Jason McDaniel
Thermwood Team

Re: Siemens IR Module Fault

Post by Jason McDaniel »

Hello Jeff,

The input 72 stop string runs through the tooling lockout switch to the front panel e-stop switch and then through the ESCR relay then to the enable card down on the Siemens power module. If you have a volt meter we can check to make sure the 24 volts DC is getting through both switches and the relay down to the enable circuit. If you count up from the bottom, on the terminal strip on that enable circuit, pin 4 is an orange wire. If you put the red meter lead on that terminal and put the black meter lead on the 3rd pin up from the bottom, you should have 24 volts between the two. If not it could be a contact in a switch or relay. If you do we need to do some more troubleshooting. Give me a call here a Thermwood. There are some outputs we can turn on to check some more voltages to pin point the problem. Call me at 1-800-221-3865. Thanks!
Jason McDaniel
Machine Support Group
Gary Urlacher

Re: Siemens IR Module Fault

Post by Gary Urlacher »

I had this same problem.
It turned out to be a over voltage problem. I would put a meter on the incoming power to the controler. You want to be at 480 volts.
Anything over that and there are problems like you are having now that show up.

I do know that in the fall here, the power company must have stepped up their voltage due to demand becouse I kept an eye
on the voltage and it did go up on the incoming lines to the buidling. My only guess is that the demand goes up in the fall and winter etc.

I went for the longest time without a problem then one day, IR fault input 72. It was not related at all to the tool switch.
It was an over voltage.

Good luck.

Gary