CNC problem

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Nemanja Vujkovic

CNC problem

Post by Nemanja Vujkovic »

Hi guys!

When the router goes into tool change from the ATH tool changer, sometimes i get an error. The blue plc screen turns on saying:"The ATH tool changer arm tokk to long to extend!! Check that the arm is extended and all other arms are retracted. Also check for modbus communication errors to the Simens plc box. If problem with arm is corrected, press start. Contact Thermwood thec servis.

The arm is extended, and all others are retracted. Inside the computer componants and drivers looks fine. Maybe i am missing something. So far, only thing that would correct this is when i shut down the THM SuperControl and restart it. If i just press start, the program goes into the endless loop.
Can anypne help me with this problem? It's nor realy a big deal, it's just frustrating.
Thank You.

Nemanja
Nemanja Vujkovic

Re: CNC problem

It kappened again today!
Dale Wills
Company Name: none

Post by Dale Wills »

I had a similar problem a few months back on a bar style tool setup. On random occasions when doing a tool change, the spindle head would lower as normal but then stop and a similar blue screen error message would pop up. After many head scratches, my co-worker found some loose electrical connectors at the back of the machine. As it turned out, this was the cause of the problem. The electrical connection was sometimes coming loose and was some reason tied in with that burst of air which pops the tool out of the spindle. Once we fixed the faulty connection everythng was fine.
Maybe this is a similar problem for you or could give you some direction.

Dale
Rob Davis
Guru Member

Post by Rob Davis »

The problem we have had with tool changing has always been a result of low air pressure at the time of the tool change. It has to be over 80 or 85 psi to do it and if it is not, you get all kinds of errors. Check to make certain the air pressure is not dropping during tool changes.
Nemanja Vujkovic

The maintance man and i chacked the whole router for wireing problem and air pressure. We did not find anything. We separated very wire conection and pluged them back up making sure is conected correctly. Air pressure does not go below 100 psi.
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Post by Daniel Vonderheide »

There are magnetic sensors on each cylinder. When the arms are retracted the sensors at the top of the cylinder will be brightly lit. When the arm is extended the sensors on the bottom will be brightly lit. Most likely these sensors need to be adjusted. You can contact our technical services at 1-800-221-3865 and they will explain how to do this.
Nemanja Vujkovic

Daniel,
I already tried this, but it did not help. Is it possible that the sensors are bad? The lights on them come on and off like they should, when the arm is retracted the top light is lit, when its extended the bottom light is lit.

Nemanja