CN Feature Request- One DXF Multiple parts

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

David Hall
eCabinets Beta Tester

CN Feature Request- One DXF Multiple parts

Post by David Hall »

A while back there was a release of CN that added some type of single or composite file interface for KCDW and perhaps others.

It would be very helpful to have a similar capacity for DXF files we create in CAD programs, where one DXF file can contain many parts to be nested by CN.

To give you an idea of the scope of the issue for us, attached is a customer supplied DXF file with dozens of parts in it. After I get the layer names all straightened out and redraw a few dozen pockets. I will be faced with the task of cutting and pasting each part into it's own file (if I want CN nesting and labels), or manually laying out each sheet using the chain layer and manually creating labels. (And then still cutting and pasting each sheet into it's own file) Both methods I consider repetitive busy-work; better suited to the computer's tolerance of tedius tasks, than my own.

Perhaps this task could be simplified by implementing an additional layer to specify the partname and bounding box (rectangle?) for each part's geometry. (so when necessary we could print labels to identify the part).
It would be great if the same "partname" could be used for many parts to further simplify the task for those times when unique part identification via labels was not required. (Or when we accidently name two parts the same.)
An implementation using an additional outline layer parameter (specifying the part name) might be easier to use if there is a way for dado and pocket geometry that extends beyond the part outline, to be included with the part, and the new outline layer parameter would work with legacy files. (The later issue might be addressed with an different "load/add" in CN.)

Ideally CN would be able to handle multiple materials and thicknesses in the same file, but even with the restriction of one material per file it would be a huge help.

This is a big enough problem for us that I am considering having a parsing routine written for DXF files. Where "part my filename" layers would be used to define rectangles. All data bounded by each rectangle would be automatically extracted to it's own DXF file named for the part layer parameter. Duplicate names would have a sequence number appended to the file name. And the whole pile could be fed to the current CN.

Thanks for your consideration. Any feedback on the difficulty of implementing and/or timeframe would be helpful.

Regards,
Dave
Attachments
lots of parts - 1dxf file.zip
(23.99 KiB) Downloaded 405 times
David Hall
Hall's Edge Inc.
eCabinets Machining Services
http://www.HallsEdge.com
Nemanja Vujkovic

Re: CN Feature Request- One DXF Multiple parts

Post by Nemanja Vujkovic »

Have you tried to take the .dxf file into PE in eCabs. If all contours are closed you should have no problem doing it and it should be faster than doing it in CAD where you have to change layer names and have each part on different sheet. If the contours are not closed you should talk to your costumer to fix this.

Nemanja
David Hall
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by David Hall »

That's even more work. Lot's more.
David Hall
Hall's Edge Inc.
David Egnoski
Company Name: Richmond Cabinet

Post by David Egnoski »

I'll have to go along with Dave on this one. I've run into this myself several times. I spend way too much time re-drawing parts.

Besides, us Daves have to stick together.
Dave Egnoski
Richmond Cabinet & Millwork
Larry Epplin
Thermwood Team

Post by Larry Epplin »

We will make a note to consider this feature for a future version. The best solution would be to have the layers provide both the part name information as well as material information. As far as a timeline goes I can't comment other than it will take a while.

Just a thought... Setting layers in the file will be a requirement. If I was was doing this I would get the 1 file broken into correct layers then simply hide all entities except the part I want to save out. Continue toggling through the layers until you have saved all the parts out. This saves from doing the copy/paste technique.
David Hall
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by David Hall »

Larry,
Thanks for the quick feedback.

We work with BobCad and when we hide (or "blank" as BobCad calls it) the data is still in the DXF file and "visible" to CN.
If I'm understanding your suggestion correctly, your CAD package saves only the visible data to the file? Is that AutoCad?

But thanks for the tip. I can delete, save as, and undo to get the same result. Better, still tedius, but better.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Dave
David Hall
Hall's Edge Inc.
Larry Epplin
Thermwood Team

Post by Larry Epplin »

I use MasterCam. I'm not sure if AutoCad work in this fashion or not.
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Maybe this will work for you, pull all the parts together in Auto Cad to "Nest" as best you can, put all outline cuts are on the "Chaincompout" layer, then draw a rectangle around the whole lot on the "outline" layer. Dump that into CN
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

Yes in autocad when you turn off the layer it is not reconized in CN. And yes I think that manual nesting on a 48 x 96 or 60 x 120 outline layer is a solution although it could be improved .

As it stands right now it appears that the programmers are still working on getting all the functions that are on the latest CN 5-47 release to function properly .

While we are on the subject of Control Nesting improvements. The ability to leave islands in your pockets would be a great improvement.

David my email is will@willmade.com Ive also been experimenting with the same third party software how about contacting me at the above address maybe we can help one another
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram