how to machine a pocket using ecabinets

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

anthony craddock
Company Name: adp store fixtures

how to machine a pocket using ecabinets

Post by anthony craddock »

we are facing problem on machining a pocket on a cabinet, our requirement is a open slot of 4mm wide 8mm deep since it is not possible to machine a open pocket we have closed contour and designed it with a thin wall so that we can chisel it later in the ends, but still it comes up with the same error machine cannot find a tool for the pocket operationthis is in the control nesting v5.47(but there is a tool of 4mm diameter in the groups) . but in the ecabinets nesting its showing the slot in red but got no details of it when we go for part details .

can any one tell us the actual procedure to create the pocket manually and has any one faced the same problem
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Corlane Custom Cabinetry LLC

Re: how to machine a pocket using ecabinets

Post by Jeremy Schiffer »

My guess would be that if your bit is exactly 4mm in diameter, and you're trying to cut a 4mm pocket, it won't work because the bit must be smaller than the pocket you're creating, otherwise one side of the cut will be a conventional cut and the other side a climb cut, and CN doesn't allow that.

Another thing to check is to make sure you have that bit set up in CN to be able to pocket... i.e. make sure the "pocket" checkbox is checked in the setup for that tool.
http://www.corlanecabinetry.com

Intel Core i7-5820 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
anthony craddock

Jeremy Schiffer wrote:My guess would be that if your bit is exactly 4mm in diameter, and you're trying to cut a 4mm pocket, it won't work because the bit must be smaller than the pocket you're creating, otherwise one side of the cut will be a conventional cut and the other side a climb cut, and CN doesn't allow that.

Another thing to check is to make sure you have that bit set up in CN to be able to pocket... i.e. make sure the "pocket" checkbox is checked in the setup for that tool.
we have done that way as well using 3mm bit and still it comes up with same error saying machine could not find a tool for doing pocket operation on leftside 17 and once i hit enter it comes up with other two errors 22 and28 as we got these slots three in total.
but here i got a doubt normally if it doesnt have a tool still i can see the operation (i.e)a drill hole or a pocket will be shown in the control nesting and in the program it shows error at that particular operation saying no tool available but i cant see this particular slots on the nesting and no errors on the program it just eliminates those slots and generates the program iam attaching the files u can have a look

pls suggest how to overcome this issue
Attachments
ap9525.esj
(1.26 MiB) Downloaded 320 times
ap9525twd.esj
(150 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Post by Daniel Vonderheide »

I am unable to open these 2 jobs in Ecabs. Can you please email me these files, plus the cab file created by using the "export" button in Control Nesting, to program@thermwood.com.
anthony craddock

Daniel Vonderheide wrote:I am unable to open these 2 jobs in Ecabs. Can you please email me these files, plus the cab file created by using the "export" button in Control Nesting, to program@thermwood.com.
sorry daniel that was my mistake the first file is ok and the second one is not the design file as i have uploaded the twd file since it was not allowing to upload twd i changed the extension to .esj so that u can go through it ,but the first file ap9525.esj is working
anyway i will send the cabinet file and the design file to u thanks
anthony craddock

thanks to one and all.
we are able to do the pocket and the problem was we were using a 6mm bit for the pocketing operation setting which was a mistake as we got 3mm slot to be done so it was showing error cannot find the tool - fixed now.