Z Axis Oscillation

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

BenRatt

Z Axis Oscillation

Post by BenRatt »

I was reading the new Gen 2 Controller manual and I came across a mention of being able to oscillate the Z axis to slow cutter wear when cutting laminate. I can't find any other info about this feature is it in CN 5.47?
Ben Ratterree
Blue Ridge Cabinetworks
Spartanburg, SC
http://www.blueridgecabs.com
Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re: Z Axis Oscillation

Post by Paul Ford »

Hi Ben,
I'm not 100% sure but I think this is a standard feature already loaded in the Gen2 controller. It could possibly be hiding in the Macro files somewhere.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong :)
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

The Oscillation feature is standard on Thermwood control versions 5.05+. To help clarify the Oscillation feature, I've posted some information as it is written in the programming manual. Control Nesting does not support this feature automatically. If the oscillation feature is wanted to be used within an NC file written from Control Nesting software, then the supporting G code to turn ON/OFF oscillation would have to be manually added to NC file. Typically the oscillation feature is used on the z axis and is turned ON once the tool has plunged to depth and is ready to start cutting in X and Y directions.

G64 - Axis Oscillation OFF.
Allows an axis to be commanded to constantly move back and forth from a set location with a preset amplitude (maximum 0.05") and number of cycles per minute, to extend cutter life. Certain materials, such as high-pressure laminates and certain types of plywood with abrasive adhesive between layers, will quickly dull tooling at the point where the tool contacts this materials. This feature moves this abrasive contact point over a larger area of the tool, increasing tool life.
Example: G64

G65 - Axis Oscillation ON.
Allows an axis to be commanded to constantly move back and forth from a set location with a preset amplitude (maximum 0.05") and number of cycles per minute, to extend cutter life. Certain materials, such as high-pressure laminates and certain types of plywood with abrasive adhesive between layers, will quickly dull tooling at the point where the tool contacts this materials. This feature moves this abrasive contact point over a larger area of the tool, increasing tool life.
Example: G65 Z.02 F125.0 (Axis Oscillation ON for axis Z)

Note: When an axis is oscillating, it cannot be commanded to move within the part program. If it is commanded, an error message will be displayed.
BenRatt

Post by BenRatt »

Is there any plans to add it to CN? I don't think we'd ever use it having to manually add the code in. That would take forever even on a smalll cabinet run.
Ben Ratterree
Blue Ridge Cabinetworks
Spartanburg, SC
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Thermwood does have this on the Control Nesting wish list, however as far as when this will be implemented is unknown as of yet.
BenRatt

Post by BenRatt »

Sounds good. It is funny that I ran across this when I did. Last week my tooling guy and I were looking at some compression bits that were fine except for a notch where the laminate had worn the carbide down. He said some shops vary the depth of cut into their wasteboard to try and drag out the life of the bit. I think a great solution would be to have the bit oscillate on the first cut through but not on the final cleanup cut. That way your spoilboard doesn't get waves in it. It just occured to me that one work around would be to set the depth of cut of the bit shallower as the bit is worn in that one spot. I might try that. Thanks
Ben Ratterree
Blue Ridge Cabinetworks
Spartanburg, SC