4th axis area???

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

4th axis area???

Post by Michael Kowalczyk »

Hey Thermwood Team,
I see some space in between 3 & 5 axis that I think you could squeeze in a 4th axis/Playback/indexer forum and it may spark some interest for those of us that have them and those that have thought about getting one or even those that are just curious and have extra time on their hands. What do you think? It won't cost much to add it here and who knows you may even get a sale out of it that you may not have gotten without it being here. There is nothing that I can find on the Thermwood website detailing it or pictures. Just a few on youtube. It surely can't hurt anything making it available, could it??? Thanks;)

Dan Lopez, Jeff Hartkey or anyone else their can send out a notice to ALL that have purchased one or have ever had an interest in one to help kick it off.
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

HP-Elite Quad Core Q6700-4 MB ram, Nvidia GeForce 512 MB Dual HP 22" flat panels, Windows 7 ultimate 64bit SP1
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Re: 4th axis area???

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi Michael,

Although that sounds good, always adding more forums seem to take away from others. Another possibility is to combine the 3 and 4 axis together as a forum. Let me think about this and will let you know.

thanks,
Jason Susnjara
V.P., Marketing
Thermwood Corp.

On YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/ThermwoodCNC
Thermwood Blog:
http://blog.thermwood.com
Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

Hey Jason,
How are you doing? I don't think it would take away from others but actually bring attention to it. I don't typically look at the 5 axis because it does not apply to me but having a 4th axis area will help us that have one and I believe help Thermwood because it will help identify users and polish a hidden add on product that many are unaware of or hesitant about taking the next step. I see it as a Win-Win for both us 4th axis owners/operators and Thermwood. If anything it will at least draw in the curious when they see a new forum area and may even create a few possible new sales.
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

HP-Elite Quad Core Q6700-4 MB ram, Nvidia GeForce 512 MB Dual HP 22" flat panels, Windows 7 ultimate 64bit SP1
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Simply stating 4th axis is somewhat open to misunderstanding. The rotary device that this Thread has mostly started from, is an add on option that can be used on a Standard 3 or 5 axis router. The same goes for an aggregate style tool, which in some cases is considered the 4th axis which rotates. So ultimately, the posting should go under 3 or 5 axis machine depending on what type of machine the device has been purchased with or is intended to be used on.

However, there is now one question that we (Thermwood) will now need to consider and that is the question of whether or not to create a main topic for Carving type machinery? The carver is a specific piece of machinery for given type of application and is set appart from the standard 3 and 5 axis machinery sold by Thermwood.

In any case, thanks for any input you may have. We will certainly consider all feedback in efforts to help make things better for all.

Thanks again!
Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

Hey Ryan,
Thanks for the reply. I could be wrong but to me the aggregates are not the same as a 4th axis but a C axis. They are two different beasts and I believe programed totally different. :?: My Aggregate is a Benz adjustable Saw/router and is a fixed unit so no C axis to program. So how I program it, would be different than an Agg on a C axis, which would be totally different than a 4th axis indexer/rotary playback.
Maybe a Carving forum with sub categories for 4th axis rotary, C axis aggregates, No C axis/plain aggregates and Thermwood Carved furniture would also be niche areas. Since many do not check the forum daily, a 4th axis post would disappear from the window in a matter of weeks, if not days.

Sure the above would not be as active as 3 axis or Ecabinets but this way those of us that have one or more of the above would have an area dedicated to the above features/add ons and those that are curious about getting one of these add ons has a place to post questions or read posts that may help corral them in and ultimately generate more sales for Thermwood.

Sorry but to me it's a no brainer unless there are substantial costs involved in adding an additional forum.
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Thanks for your input Michael!
Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

OK Guys and Gals,
Can all of you that have a Rotary Playback/4th axis/Indexer please post here and let us know if it is collecting dust or are you using it to it's full potential. If you know someone that has one and they do not post here regularly, give them a nudge to get active and post here.

I know there are at least 3 others that were trained with me at the beginning and hope they are still in business.

So please post here and let us know how you are doing with them and if you have any ?'s.

Thanks,
Michael Kowalczyk, GM