More school fees

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Nick M Singer
Guru Member

More school fees

Post by Nick M Singer »

Thought I would relate the following for the edification of operators. A few days ago I was machining some MDF using a brand new R900.00 triple flute 1/2" Onsrud compression cutter. Because it was 32mm board I set my max step to 10mm and off we went. not far into the cut the machine started growling and the board was being shredded. I Estopped and adjusted speeds and started again. This time the cutter made one pass and on the second pass did the same thing delaminating the board and snapping the cutter(see pic). Just bloody marvellous!!!! I discovered that for some reason the flutes were not clearing and had packed up with dust. This is strange because we cut MDF all the time with no ill effects, so I can only assume it was the composition of this particular brand of board or there was something wrong with the setting of the flutes on the cutter.
Attachments
P1020802.JPG
P1020802.JPG (17.62 KiB) Viewed 5167 times
mohan kommineni
Company Name: ADP STORE FIXTURES

Re: More school fees

Post by mohan kommineni »

Nick M Singer wrote:Thought I would relate the following for the edification of operators. A few days ago I was machining some MDF using a brand new R900.00 triple flute 1/2" Onsrud compression cutter. Because it was 32mm board I set my max step to 10mm and off we went. not far into the cut the machine started growling and the board was being shredded. I Estopped and adjusted speeds and started again. This time the cutter made one pass and on the second pass did the same thing delaminating the board and snapping the cutter(see pic). Just bloody marvellous!!!! I discovered that for some reason the flutes were not clearing and had packed up with dust. This is strange because we cut MDF all the time with no ill effects, so I can only assume it was the composition of this particular brand of board or there was something wrong with the setting of the flutes on the cutter.
hi nick

even we faced this problem while doing 18mm & 32mm plain mdf but not delaminated or cracked but just snapped 60-123mw compression spiral.so we had a chat with the supplier local dealer of onsurd and he said many other people were using them on their machines they dont have any issue then we examined the broken cutters both were same case the flutes were cloged with mdf dust.
stuck with the issue,finally came to conclusion that compression spiral cutter performs better on melamine chipboard so we switched to 'o'flute geometry cutter single fluted from onsurd 60-733 performs very good and can go full depth straight thru and lot cheaper aswell
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

I cut alot of MDF here in the shop and have little problem doing so. I would have to wonder if your dust collection is sufficient enough or maybe has a restriction cuttin down the cfm's. Just a thought.
Damon Nabors
jerry johnson

Post by jerry johnson »

Hey, Nick. When we cut thick mdf we use an up-cut two flute cutter and have no problems. 8)