Reinstall

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Marius Gouws
Company Name: Plett Roofing

Reinstall

Post by Marius Gouws »

Good Morning
The CNC machine is connected to our Lan which is connected to a router for internet access and e-mail. To make
a long story short it is now in infected with the "malware doctor" virus. "AVG free edition" did not even detect.
The only anti-virus that did detect it was "Malware bytes", but then it "fix" it and move it to the vault, it then needs
to restart the PC after that it seems fine but within 30 sec. that you connect the pc to the network its back. It get
worst...now I disconnect from the network scan with both Malware bytes and AVG, both detect threats move it
to the vault ,restart pc, scan again, both anti virus program do not detect any infections, plug the network cable
back and everything seems fine, only thing the internet seems a bit slow....now for the BIG surprise....(South
Africa is one of the most expensive countries when it comes to bandwidth) In 3 days we have use up 3 times our
normal cap , one cap normally will last a month. Checking out usage online with our service provider show that
we have sent and receive gigs and gigs of data. So then I install a firewall on the CNC PC to monitor what goes
where. It then shows that when the pc is connected to the network it open about 30 connections to a lot of IP
adresses, some of them had a name next to it like "internetserviceteam" and "sharktech.net". I do a bit of search
and information on the internet show that this is a hacker group in Germany. I am blocking all that connections
through the firewall, but the pc is still infected. That brings me to the heading of this message. I just want to
format the c drive and reinstall windows and the cnc software. I just want to now what files and folders I need to
back up, so after the reinstall I can just replace them, so I do not have to setup the hole machine again. And if
there is anything special that I need to know. (I have built and install a lot of PC's in my time(anything from linux
to windows), so this is not the first time)
Thank you very much in advance
The internet is not what it use to be.
Ryan Hochgesang

Re: Reinstall

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Be sure to find Restore CD that came with your Thermwood router, along with any updates that may have been added after the machine left the factory. You will find how to run the restore process in your Thermwood Programming or Operating manual. Prior to running the restore CD be sure to backup the following files/directories:

(OS/2, WIN 2000 or WIN XP THM operating system) Files/Folders to backup:

C:\Rolling Nest\machine.ini (Control Nesting - SETTINGS)
C:\Rolling Nest\offfalls.mdb (Control Nesting - Off fall material Database)
C:\Rolling Nest\tools.thm (Control Nesting TOOLING info – V5.41 and older)
C:\Rolling Nest\Tools_Version2.thm (Control Nesting TOOLING info – V5.44+)
C:\Rolling Nest\material.mdb (Control Nesting - Material Database)
C:\system\toolman.thm (THM Tool Manager Settings)
C:\offset.tab (Fixture offsets for G52L#)
C:\MACROS (Contains M999, most commonly altered and any custom macros that may have been made)
D:\DATA (Contains all CNC files and folders)
C:\system\MachineVars.mdb (THM V7.2.27.0+, Contains machine variables most which were commonly held in M999 on older machines)
Marius Gouws

Post by Marius Gouws »

Thank Ryan for the info
Marius Gouws

Post by Marius Gouws »

Good afternoon Ryan
I have used the restore dvd and done a restore on the C: drive only. All is well, except I can not get the network to work. The CNC pc can see and log on to all the other pc on the network, but the other pc's can see the cnc pc but when you want to log on a little pop screen comes up that ask for a username and password. I have run the network setup wizard on the cnc pc and all the pc's but no sigar. Any ideas?
thanks
Ryan Hochgesang

On the THM control, you will want to make sure that the default guest account has the following settings:

Go to START menu > Right Click: My Computer > Select: Manage > Select: Local Users and Groups > Select: Users > Right Click: Guest Account and choose properties

Select: User Cannot Change Passoword
Select: Password Never Expires
Unselect: Account is disabled

When attempting to connect to the THM router from the office and if you get prompted for Username and Password, Enter thermwood for User Name and leave password blank, Select ENTER.
Marius Gouws

Post by Marius Gouws »

Rayn, Good morning
I have sort the network out, and all is back to normal. I had E-cabinets on this machine as well, I have reinstall E-cabinets now but now I need a key. Can you maybe e-mail me a key? gouwsie@mweb.co.za
One last thing. I have profile modeler version 1.1.0.0 now and have the update of PM version 2.2.1, but when I run the update it tells me it can not update because the program is missing that I am trying to update. I do F11, F5 and it is there, open it ,load a part ,create tool paths and write the code no problem. So I do not know why it does not want to update.
Thanks
Ryan Hochgesang

Hello Marious,

As I read your last post, it sounds to me like your installing eCabinets software on your Thermwood control. If this is the case, this should not be done. Ecabinets should be loaded onto a seperate PC in your office or shop and NOT put on the Thermwood control. I've emailed you a new reg. code incase you need it.

As far as the profile modeler update, I would recommend that you download the latest update again, save it to the desktop of the THM control, then make sure that the Thermwood software is shutdown prior to running the update. If you are given the option to Remove the program, go ahead and select this option, then when the install wizard finishes, go ahead and rerun the Install.