Alternative material machining???

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Dale Wills
Company Name: none

Alternative material machining???

Post by Dale Wills »

Was wondering if any of you guys have had to resort to any alternative machining using your Thermwood. Basically in lull periods it would be ideal to have some work set aside that could be picked up when needed. I'm chasing you guys ideas for different products or niche material machining jobs that could be researched and targeted. Any ideas will be much appreciated?
Dale
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Re: Alternative material machining???

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi Dale,

I am supprised that no one has responded to your posting. I don't know the Australian market, so I'm just shooting from the hip on this. You might know this allready but your machine will be capable of doing just about anything. If you want to stay in the wood industry, carved wood signs, mdf door production, custom moldings, job shop. You can also move into the sign business as we now offer the I-Cut Vision system for doing rigid graphic signs made of PVC or Dibond type material which is plastic sandwiched in between aluminum. Aluminum machining for molds or parts. Road signs are made on CNC machines and I'm sure that Australia needs some of them as well. Composites, Solid Surface, you name it. If you look at our Application page on our website, maybe you can get some ideas from that.

Hopefully this helps. Maybe other members can give you some ideas
Jason Susnjara
V.P., Marketing
Thermwood Corp.

On YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/ThermwoodCNC
Thermwood Blog:
http://blog.thermwood.com
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Jason Susnjara wrote:...Road signs are made on CNC machines and I'm sure that Australia needs some of them as well...
They don't got no roads in Oz...heck, if they did they would just drive on the wrong side! :joker:
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Corlane Custom Cabinetry LLC

Post by Jeremy Schiffer »

Hi Dale,

We're currently machining a bunch of plastic composite parts for a plastics company. They send us about 1,000 pieces 10" wide by 72" long by about 1/10" thick, and we cut them each into two parts. Right now we're doing the second batch for them, and they tell us there will be a batch of 2000 every 6 weeks or so. We'll see about that. It ain't wood, it ain't cabinetmaking, but it helps pay the bills, and I'm thrilled to be able to do it.
http://www.corlanecabinetry.com

Intel Core i7-5820 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
Keith Neal
Company Name: Wilbedone Inc.

Post by Keith Neal »

We do almost exclusively solid surface on our machine,everything from countertops to boxes even signs.We've even had a guy bring in some marine grade plywood and a program to replace the deck of his boat!