Machine size question

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Machine size question

Post by Joe Dusel »

I do furniture and cabinet making. In the almost 20 years that I have done woodworking I think I have used 4' x 10' panels maybe twice, and I have never used 5' x 5' Baltic birch. I am having a hard time figuring why I would want a machine with a table larger than 4' x 8'. Do you folks with this size machine regret for some reason not having a larger table? It would seem to me that if you had a bigger table you would also need a bigger vacuum pump. Is that right?

Thanks,

Joe
CFT411 http://www.cft411.com
Intel i7 920 @ 2.67GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA Geforce GT220 (1GB)
Jon Kenworthy
Company Name: darrells Carpenter Shop

Re: Machine size question

Post by Jon Kenworthy »

We've had a 4X8 table for our machine for about 2 1/2 years and have been satisfied with this size. The 5X10 material is not readily available in our area, so I suppose that would make a difference if it was. We do use 5X5 material but we end up cutting a foot off the edge so we end up with a 4X5 sheet, we always find something to use the offall for. We do mostly commercial work so we use a lot of melamine. The best I can recall if you get a 4X8 table you really can't use a rotary playback device, so that would be something to consider.
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Joe Dusel »

Thanks for the response Jon.

Joe
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Corlane Custom Cabinetry LLC

Post by Jeremy Schiffer »

Yes you would need a bigger vacuum pump, which is a big chunk of change and would probably be a deal-breaker (in my case anyway)

No regrets with the 4x8 table here. I'm glad we don't have to cover the remaining open table when using 4x8 sheets, as would be the case with a larger table. I've no interest in dealing with larger material anyway... I don't want to end up like my dad.
http://www.corlanecabinetry.com

Intel Core i7-5820 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Joe Dusel »

Yeah, I was wondering about the vacuum pump as well. I have been told that the reason there is not going to be a 4 x 8 or 5 x 8 version of the Model 43 is that there is no demand for machines smaller than a 5 x 10. I guess I'm kind of surprised by that since the 3 Thermwood machines that I have had stuff processed on were 4 x 8 machines, and they all seemed happy with their machines. I did not ask them if they regretted not having a 5 x 10.

Thanks,

Joe
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

As long as you only cut cabinet parts out of 4' x 8' sheets that is fine. My CS45-510 give me a competive advantage over any 4 x 8 machine. Keep in mind that solid surfacing comes in 12' Foot sheets.I specialize in architectural Millwork and put this machine to its size limit every change I get. You will never regret buying the bigger machine.I wish I had bought a 12' long model.
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Keith Neal
Company Name: Wilbedone Inc.

Post by Keith Neal »

We have the 5'x12' machine,which it perfect for our solid surface shop. The length allows for the standard 12' sheets and the width is great because we can seam sheets beforehand and cut large tops out to size and shape(saving alot of unneccessary router work),this also comes in handy when our suppliers suprises us with extra wide material because the standard size was unavailable. It is also great because we have the option to accept subcontracts for cutting jobs for small cabinet makers(and other solid surfaceshops) without the ability to cut large material themselves,we had a guy come in once to have us cut a new deck for his boat out of marine grade plywood.