Nestin Problem/Bug

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Georgi Baltov
Guru Member
Company Name: Top Notch Cabinets

Nestin Problem/Bug

Post by Georgi Baltov »

Hi Guys,

I have some cabinets with 7/8" MDF Doors. Basically they are pocketed in the middle and left with 2 1/2" style and rail. I went 1/2" deep on the front and 1/16" on the back just for stability of the MDF (so it doesn't warp). Anyhow later we decided to put glass so I had to go right through and leave the same 2 1/2" rail and style. I didn't want to re-cut the doors so I nested them at G902 with no outline cut and collar set at 0. The result was not what I wanted. It seems that the machine shifted the x axis perfectly and messed up on the y axis shift. I got 2 1/2" rails and 2 5/8" style on one side and 2 3/8" style on the other. The difference about 1/8". What happened? Just let me know what information you need and I will try remake the whole case.

Thank you.
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Re: Nestin Problem/Bug

Post by Daniel Vonderheide »

Georgi,

It sounds like the y position in your G902 is off. I would verify this by loading a sheet into the G902 position and then bring the router out to find the x and y values for that corner. Once you have these values, compare them to what yo have in the M999 macro or the machine variables depending on the software version.
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member

Post by Georgi Baltov »

Hi Daniel,

I checked the values for the G901 and G902 in M999 macro. It is exactly 6" less in x and y. Plus we machine the flip parts fine at G902. It just happens when I use "no outline cuts".

Should I still teach a line and see if x and y coordinates for G902 match with the corner of the G902 square?
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

This is something that I have noticed in the past, once you check no outline cut, the machine no longer compensates for the outline tool and there fore moves the part location . Also if you change the outline tool diameter it changes your part location. If you notice the amount that you are off is half 0r a quarter of your tool diameter.
It apears that the fixture offset is not the corner of the part, but the corner of the tool path that cuts the perimeter. Who knows maybe i just have a misunderstanding of how the system works. Maybe Daniel can give us some more insite into this problem.
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member

Post by Georgi Baltov »

My outline is 1/2" but the problem only occurred on the y axis and it was 1/8".
Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Paul Ford »

Hi Georgi,
I believe when doing something like this, you also need to select "Nest to edge of sheet" in your nesting paramaters.
Hope this helps,
Paul
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Georgi,

Can you attach your export file and the cnc file that you ran so I can look at them? Also, what are the dimensions on the doors in question?
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member

Post by Georgi Baltov »

HI Daniel,

here're the files. Let me know if you need something else. I tried it on both machines. The new machine that we have has the new self-diagnostic control or whatever you call it.
Attachments
Thermwood - Sept 1, 2009.zip
(745.47 KiB) Downloaded 377 times
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member

Post by Georgi Baltov »

Paul,

I made it nest to the edge of sheet as well. I just forgot to mention that one. I always nest to the edge of sheet even at G901. The fence is set about 1/8" inside in x and y so I don't need to add collar as well.
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

When creating apart in this manner, you will need to check "scrap part recovery" in the load screen and then turn off the outline cut in the settings. This will nest the cut in the correct location. You MUST have the scrap part recovery checked though for this type of operation.
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member

Post by Georgi Baltov »

Daniel,

what does "Scrap part recovery" exactly mean?

Doesn't that mean that if I don't have it checked I can't flip and machine parts properly with the Placement Pins? So far I have machined flip parts without any problem.

I will check and see how the panels machine with the "Scrap part recovery" checked on.

Thanks for the help.
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member

Post by Georgi Baltov »

Done. It did the job. Placed it at G902 although x and y nest didn't work it cut everything at the right place.

Thanks for the help Daniel. I would have never figured that out alone just by reading what "Scrap Part Recovery" means. 30 minutes ago I thought that was a definite bug in CN.