Edgebanding

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Sebastien Boileau

Edgebanding

Post by Sebastien Boileau »

I'd like to hear how some of you guys are set up for edgebanding after your peices are cut like how you mark which peice needs which tape...
We just put a line with a marker on the edge that needs tape, but i was thinking maybe thermwood could modify their labels and add a \"tape edge\" on the label itself where the operator could identify the edge that needs tape. Just to try to simplify things even more since edgebanding isn't a \"career\" that people enjoy, it has to be a user friendly task where anyone can do.
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

I also have been meaning to post about this issue. I thought that this feature used to be in rolling nest. Was there not a red line on the face side of the label? If not I guess this would be a request for V5 along with the edgebanding feature.

Thanks
Forrest
Sebastien Boileau

What would be great would be if you could program in Ecabs which side needs tape on your piece where it would be marked on the label...Now that would the best!
Sebastien Boileau

Forrest what is your setup for edgebander/marking pieces?
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

When using blind dado it is easy. Just set your front tenon back farther than the back tenon. The label idea sounds great. May be a square with either a red line or BOLD black line to indicate which edge to band. Some indication on the printed sheets would also work.
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

I don't really have a setup. My guys are all skilled enough to know most of the time which is which. Although sometimes they'll band the wrong side of a white shelf. I guess if I hire a flunky I'll have to do something else.

Forrest
Sebastien Boileau

Brian, yes it is simple for the blind dado setup, however there are still the ajustable shelves...for example, an ajustable shelf for an upper 12\" would be roughly 10 7/8\"x10 3/4\" this can be very confusing for a newbie. Keep in mind, i'm trying to setup a foolproof way of making edgebanding easy enough for anyone to do, skilled or not, since we are not a small neither big shop, we have about 10 employees but they all have their tasks to do so we pretty much need a guy to do edgebanding almost all the time.

Forrest, your in a great position since your guys know what their doing, we sort of have a hard time keeping all our guys, some of em just quit without notice but it's good to be ready and have a backup plan if some of those skilled guys leave, I think edgebanding should be the easiest task anyone could do. I just hope thermwood can integrate it in their next update.
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

Forrest,

Take care of those guys! They're \"few and far between\".
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi Guys,

For V5 we will have edgebanding on the face of cabinet parts. We are going to try to get the labels done for this as well.