tear out on my legs

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Robert Spano

tear out on my legs

Post by Robert Spano »

I was wondering if some one new why my wood keeps tearing out. I'm cutting a pattern with a bell on the bottom, just a part c-shape. I band saw it with in a 1/16 or so from the line & almost everytime my router would tear out the one part. I have a bosch router so I can control the speed & I lowered it some. No dice! I even made a new leg & put the jig not parralell to the grains. Nadda. Using hard maple 4/4. Really need some advice on this.

thanks, Bob 8)
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Hi Bob,

You may want to slow feed of router movement and raise the actual RPM of the bit. Cut convention may also help you out (Climb vs. Conventional). A Climb cut (usually used in hardwoods, grainy materials) would be cutting a finished edge by climbing with the cutting edge of tool. A conventional cut would be cutting a finished edge with the tool spinning away from edge, on the front side as cutter moves along. I hope this info. has been helpful.
Robert Spano

tear out

Post by Robert Spano »

Your saying to increase the rpm on the router & slow feed the wood? I always thought you slow both down. I put a new bit on there too. It helped.
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Hi Bob,

I assumed your using a Thermwood CNC router and I ment to slow the feed rate on the machine slightly. Every situation is a little different if you are using a CNC router. Fixturing and hold down play a large role in cut quality.
Robert Spano

tear out

Post by Robert Spano »

I wish I has a CNC router. No..just old fashion hand feed routing. But, thanks anyway.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Robert

Make sure you are not trying to take off too much in one pass. You can also make a short starter cut on the \"wrong end\", then make the cut from the other end so you don't have to end up off the piece.

To clarify, you have a work piece say 24\" long. The \"correct\" cut direction with the router is A-B and you get tearout on the B end. Make a short (2 or 3\") cut on the B end with the router going in the B-A direction then start at the A end and make your normal A-B cut. Since you have already cut the B end, there is norhing to tear out.

Hope this helps.