profile modeler outline cuts

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Jeff Norris
Guru Member

profile modeler outline cuts

Post by Jeff Norris »

ok i finally got some time to mess with the profile modeler, created a part and generated code, but no outline cut, am i missing somthing here?, do i have to run the part through rolling nest to get the blank and then reposition the part and use the profile modeler to generate the rest of the code?
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

Keep us posted on your progress Jeff. I just recieved my Control update so I can load the Custom Molding update. I am ready to mess with it also. Any tips so far?

Brian
Jeff Norris
Guru Member

Post by Jeff Norris »

with all thermwood products be paitent and take your time. when i installed my there was a problem and thermwood had to send me another version, so i wouldent have a bunch of parts waiting for the upgrade. hey brian did you ever get your sign cut out?
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

I am going to put my SuperControl 5.05 build 7 upgrade in today,then upgrade Custom Moulding. I did get my sign cut! Thanks so much. I've been wanting to send you a photo of it. I also got BobCad, BobArt, and their DXF file collection(lettering fonts and other carvings). Now my plate is FULL of stuff to learn.

Brian
Jeff Norris
Guru Member

Post by Jeff Norris »

it is very interesting that i spent thousands of hours learning my craft by hand and now i can spend many more learning all of these other manufacturing techniques. i have had my thermwood for three years and im always learning new things and pushing my envelope, i would like to get that picture when you get a chance. i am very careful to get pictures of just about everything i have had anything to do with.
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

I'm amaized every day at what my router can do and I have only scratched the surface!
Jeff Norris
Guru Member

Post by Jeff Norris »

anyone care to chime in on this?
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

Hey Jeff,

I was able to cut a couple things with the Profile modeler on the router. I did get some errors that THM was able to duplicate so they are looking into it. I've been trying to design a sort of shaker style of crown moulding to run on the router. I would like to use a pointed(45 degree)bit in the profile modeler but it is not setup for that yet. Have you been able to cut a sample yet. I also had an error loading the example .twd file . Any luck with that?

Brian
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

Jeff,

I took a picture of the sign. I just have to load it into my computer and post it or email it to you.

Brian
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi Jeff,

Do you have the latest Profile Modeler installed? The udpate is located on the thermwood website.

thanks,
Jeff Norris
Guru Member

Post by Jeff Norris »

brian: i have not spent too much time with the profile modeler, it apears to me that there is a long way to go with it and i suspect that thermwood will be adding features in the future, when ecabinets supports import of dxf files the profile modeler will be of more use to me, but for now i cam create these parts with much more control in other software, i am hopeful for this program as it will be nice to only have to make the part once in one program and not ave to write tool paths for it. i look forward to seeing your sign, when you made parts using the profile modeler did it perform an outline cut or did you have to do two operations?

jason: yes i am running the current version, is the profile modeler soposed to perform an outline cut, or does that come from rolling nest?
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Jeff,

If you click on Operations, Defaults, you will see Perimeter Cut allowing you to specify an outline tool with other settings.
Attachments
outline.JPG
outline.JPG (132.55 KiB) Viewed 11244 times
DanFecteau
eCabinets Beta Tester

Profile modeler

Post by DanFecteau »

Would it be possible for me to have the profile modeler, cause nobody has talked to me about that, do I need to upgrade the controller , how much for it ? Where can I find info on the profile modeler ?????????
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Dan,

If you go to http://www.thermwood.com and click on the button Profile Modeler Update which is on the left of the screen.