Lyptus Job

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Clint Buechlein

Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Lyptus Job

Post by Brian Shannon »

Just a few shots of a Lyptus job I am working on. They are a little crude at this point.
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

More
Jean G Voyer
Guru Member
Company Name: Janot Interiors Ltd

Post by Jean G Voyer »

Brian,

How do you enjoy working with this wood?
I just finish a computer desk that was a mix of lyptus and painted MDF.
One of the nice job I really enjoy doing.
I posted the e-cab rendering previously. I want to post some pictures of the finish product. The room was pretty small and it was really hard to take good pictures. I will post them as soon as I have a break.

Nice kitchen by the way. I can't wait to see the final product.
Jean-Gabriel Voyer
Janot Interiors Ltd
www.customcabinetscalgary.com
Dell Precision PWS490, Intel Xeon CPU,3.00 GB Ram, Window XP Pro, Quadro Fx 3500
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

Jean,

I have just finished my first Lyptus job. It is about as hard as Maple. Sands very nice and smooth. My lumber came in 16 foot lengths at about $4.00 b.f.. One drawback is the color. There is a wide color variation within a unit of lumber. I had to sign a waver for the door co. because of the color variance. My job will be stained dark and the customer like the color(s). This job will be clear but this customer is O.K. with REAL wood. The best part about this (pictured) job is that it is about 70 yards from my house. It is nice to see eCabinets designs AND finished photos. I would like to see pics of your Lyptus/MDF mix. How much are you paying for Lyptus Lumber?

Brian
Jean G Voyer
Guru Member
Company Name: Janot Interiors Ltd

Post by Jean G Voyer »

Brian,

My job was stain dark as well.
I think I paid about $4.50 CAD a board foot, which is probably a little less than what you paid.
I used also lyptus plywood which was very nice before staining and finishing.
But it showed as to be very porous after finishing. I should have used a stain filler to fill the pores.
I like the difference in color though. I am planing to use it for some cabinets I want to build for myself and finish it natural.
Jean-Gabriel Voyer
Janot Interiors Ltd
www.customcabinetscalgary.com
Dell Precision PWS490, Intel Xeon CPU,3.00 GB Ram, Window XP Pro, Quadro Fx 3500