Password and lock out areas

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Thom Davies
Guru Member
Company Name: Dawn Group

Password and lock out areas

Post by Thom Davies »

Hey How's it all going?

I just saw a web site of another cnc machine that they have passwords and lock out areas of there program so that less skilled people who ran the machine dont fiddle with the settings and things like that. One reason my bosses dont want other people to run the machine is that reason: the people might fiddle with the settings then it makes the machine go wrong then they say that i set it up like that!

Thanks

Thom Davies.
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Hi Thom,

The Thermwood control does have the option to lock out the cnc programs so that operators can not tamper with the code. If you look in the 91000 Super Control Manual Index (Large, Blue, Hard back book) under the topic Locking Files, it will give you the steps to lock out files. You can also email me at: program@thermwood.com if you have additional questions.
Thom Davies
Guru Member
Company Name: Dawn Group

Post by Thom Davies »

Hey Ryan

Thanks for that. But is there any way of being able to lock the RN settings so no one can change them. you can lock the cnc code but if that person changes a setting while they run it and when i nest the next job i don't know that the have played around with one of the settings i would get the blame for some thing going wrong! I really dont want that! :wink:

Thanks

Thom Davies
Glenn Van Reason
Guru Member
Company Name: TBA
Location: ORANGE NSW AUSTRALIA every now and then between trips lol

Post by Glenn Van Reason »

I know what you mean Thom, I taught the guys how to close up a job half finished then the next morning do a F5 F1 to get the cnc file back up. Of course they did a F11 F2 and renested the job. Wouldn't of been a problem only that the cnc file written the day before was a combination of jobs and their new nest was of only one job.

They came to me compaining that they were missing some sheets in the nest and when I said ahh hang on you did a renest they swore black and blue they didn't and that they loded it the correct way. Must be the Thermwood playing up and deleting sheets they said lol

A quick check of the cnc file and the date stamp showed that it had been created that morning at the time they claimed not to have renested it!

This leads to a suggestion as well, any chance of getting rolling nest to allow us to specify the cnc file name. It seems to just pick one of the jobs in a batch and use that when combining a few jobs. Sometimes I might do three eCabinet jobs and two panel input jobs together and it grabs the nearest name as the cnc file name.
This message made from recycled electrons.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Glenn

Rolling nest is on a Windows computer, right? I can modify the backup wizard I wrote so it can be used for RN as well. Just let me know what the standard paths are and the files and extensions to backup.
Dean Fehribach
Site Admin
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Dean Fehribach »

Dan,

We don't put the .NET Framework on the Thermwood Control because we don't use it for any of the programs. With the machines, we try to limit the amount of non-used features as it ships from the factory.

So, anyone trying to use your app would definitely need to install the .NET Framework.
Dean Fehribach
I.S. Mgr., Thermwood
Dell Workstation T1650 / XEON E3 / 8GB RAM / 1GB nVidia Quadro 600 / Windows 8 Pro x64
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Hey Dean, 'splain this RN stuff to me.

Is eCabinets installed on the same computer that is used for RN? If not, do the two have to be on a LAN in order to send CNC files from eCabinets to RN?

If eCabinets and RN are always on two different computers and are networked, I can easily backup the RN files across the network, assuming they are not huge. This would keep the application footprint small on the RN computer while providing a central backup capability.
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Hey Everyone,

I've talked with the software developers here at Thermwood and expressed the concern for having a password to allow entering critical Control Nesting settings and I've also mentioned giving the option to specify name of cnc file when writing CNC, which would help eliminate overwriting existing cnc files; the developers thought these were good ideas, so they will be putting them on the list for possible implementation in the future.
Dean Fehribach
Site Admin
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Re:

Post by Dean Fehribach »

DanEpps wrote:Hey Dean, 'splain this RN stuff to me.

Is eCabinets installed on the same computer that is used for RN? If not, do the two have to be on a LAN in order to send CNC files from eCabinets to RN?

If eCabinets and RN are always on two different computers and are networked, I can easily backup the RN files across the network, assuming they are not huge. This would keep the application footprint small on the RN computer while providing a central backup capability.
Dan,

No, eCabinets isn't installed on the Thermwood Control. Rolling Nest is essentially the same nesting engine in eCabinet Systems but with a whole lot more functionality.

The Thermwood Control and the eCabinet Systems computer are usually networked, but it's not required. eCabinet Systems creates a file that gets taken to the machine and pulled up in RN. How the file actually gets to the Thermwood Control is up to the end user.

Larry will need to chime in with regard to all the specifics of RN on the machine. I'll poke him. :mrgreen:
Dean Fehribach
I.S. Mgr., Thermwood
Dell Workstation T1650 / XEON E3 / 8GB RAM / 1GB nVidia Quadro 600 / Windows 8 Pro x64
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi Dan,

RN has a settings area that allows the customer to change the settings to work for his/her preference. Here is a pic of the settings screen. There is also a tooling area that allows the user to control which tooling for which operations such as dados, drills, outline.
Attachments
settings.JPG
settings.JPG (159.62 KiB) Viewed 9675 times
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

It looks like the file paths cannot be changed then, correct? If so, can you email me a list of paths and file types to backup?