Spindle off?

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Dave Burtchell

Spindle off?

Post by Dave Burtchell »

Hi,

I made up a spring loaded dry erase pen that fits in a 1/2\" collet to check some part shapes I digitized before commiting some expensive sheet goods. My question is: what's the easiest way to run the program with the spindle off? It works ok putting parentheses around S# M3 and M5. I was wondering if just setting the tool rpm to \"0\" would work. Any other options?

Thanks,
Dave
Thom Davies
Guru Member
Company Name: Dawn Group

Post by Thom Davies »

Hey Dave

I think there is a button which is called dry run on. I think this is what you want but don't know how to run it as i have not tried it yet.

Thanks

Thom Davies.
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Dave,

Parenthisis around the M3 and around the S# works. As well as leaving out the S# altogehter. I Prefer to actually run through the program in RUN mode rather than the Dry run option, because the dry run mode will not actually move the machine through the motions.
Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael Kowalczyk »

Ryan,
I stopped using the DRY RUN function several years ago because it seems to have a problem with tool changes. I just add 2 inches to the Z shift and run the file. This gives me an accurate time study and allows me to see if I need to modify the order of operation.
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

HP-Elite Quad Core Q6700-4 MB ram, Nvidia GeForce 512 MB Dual HP 22" flat panels, Windows 7 ultimate 64bit SP1
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

The DRY RUN feature will exicute all IO's when cycling, this is why you see the tool get dropped from the router. Setting the z shift value at a higher amt and actually cycling the program in RUN mode is the best way to get a true time study and program proof.