Never loan out your tools thread

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Clint Buechlein

Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Never loan out your tools thread

Post by Mike Bowers »

Here's one of a friends \"oops\" with another tenants forklift, I didn't dare to go closer to snap the pic. Well let's say he wasn't a happy camper at the time. Notice how high up the forks were on rough terrain. That received the \"DUH of the Day Award\" :lol:
Mike

I'll bet all of you have tons of stories to share

BTW, Neither man or machine were hurt in the production of this picture.
:P
Attachments
1 resize.JPG
1 resize.JPG (60.81 KiB) Viewed 12114 times
We love what we do, we do it well.
Tom Houser

Post by Tom Houser »

Certainly a good reason for a new Government mandate \"All forklift drivers are required to have at least a two digit IQ \" .
Thom Houser
http://www.thouser.com
A person who never made a mistake
never tried anything new.
A. Einstein
David Norton
Guru Member
Company Name: Custom Trim and Millwork

Post by David Norton »

Even though this could have had serious consequences, it's still funny as hell. What was that guy thinking anyway!
Dave Norton
Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Post by Mike Bowers »

Thats why I didn't go closer, I couldn't stop laughing & Kirby was pretty pissed at the time :lol: :lol:
Tom Houser

Post by Tom Houser »

My guess is at least one person had to change there shorts.
Thom Houser
http://www.thouser.com
A person who never made a mistake
never tried anything new.
A. Einstein
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

I have to tell this story.
Many years ago (in my 20's) I worked at a local lumber yard. We were trying to unload a truck of 4X12 sheetrock. The big forklift was broken so we were using a little lift (about the size of the one in your picture).
This lift had narrow forks so the rock bent a lot when I lifted it. When I would get it up where I could move it the rear wheels would float on the lift. I told the owner and he decided he could operate the lift much better than I. I don't know what he was thinking but he lifted the rock as high as the lift would go and told the truck driver to pull out from underneath. The truck pulled out the lift tipped over and when the rock fell off the forks the lift fell back. The owner now had 50 sheets of rock split in two. I kept my chuckles to myself but felt very satisfied with life that day. The owner and I are still friends and I have to remind him of this every once in a while.
Kerry
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

I once had to lift a 50 pc. unit of 5/8\" Melamine high enough to clear the table saw. I soon discovered that I was over an abandoned auto service pit. Some of the old timbers must have rotted. One front wheel dropped about 8-10\" in a split-second. The Melamine spilled out like a deck of cards. It was like 50? card pick-up. Only 2 sheets were damaged. Oh, and one pair of shorts!
Audrey Racine
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Audrey Racine »

This is why my boss don't want me to use this!!!! :lol:

Audrey
Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Post by Mike Bowers »

At least 10 yrs ago I was doing a store south of here & all the bridges were closed due to some tropical storm, well I had to drive all the way around Tampa Bay in the middle of this storm at night. Well I missed a turn because I couldn't see good even with the wipers on high, it was coming down in buckets. So I ended up kidda lost. I turned on this one street (bad choice) my van was totally full of materials & tools, even with a borrowed 14\" chop saw. Before I knew it I was in at least 40\" inches of salt water. The only tool that really got wet was that 14\" saw. All the shelves were ruined. As a matter of fact, the guy that loaned me the saw laughed as I snapped the forklift pic. He laughed even harder when I told him it's posted on the internet.......
Bill Rutherford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Bill Rutherford »

Back when I lived in NJ one of the business next to us (a welder) loaned another business (a carpet wholesaler) their forklift. Because neither business had a ground level door they loaded the machine in the back of a trailer (you can probably already guess where this is going :lol: ) The sad part of the story is they were not moving the machine 100' It rolled out of the back of the trailer, and landed upside down resting on the top back edge of the truck and the top of the mast. On top of that the machine was a propane truck so the motor wound up total screwed as well. Unfortunately for the welder the guy with the carpet business tried to squirm his way out of responsibility saying it was the truck drivers fault. I thought there was going to be a fight right there in the parking lot. Eventually the welder got a new forklift though I never did find out who paid for it.

Bill Rutherford
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

We are pretty adept at this kind of thing In South Africa! One incident in particular that stands out in my mind was in the board store of a company where a forklif driver set off the \"Domino effect\" and a pack of about 50 9' x 6' sheets of chip started to fall over. Some super man thought he could stop there languid fall and needless to say he ended up as flat as a pancake under approx. 2.5 metric tonnes of board
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

We are pretty adept at this kind of thing In South Africa! One incident in particular that stands out in my mind was in the board store of a company where a forklif driver set off the \"Domino effect\" and a pack of about 50, 9' x 6' sheets of chip started to fall over. Some superman thought he could stop their languid fall and needless to say he ended up as flat as a pancake under approx. 2.5 metric tonnes of board
Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Re:

Post by Mike Bowers »

Nick M Singer wrote:We are pretty adept at this kind of thing In South Africa! One incident in particular that stands out in my mind was in the board store of a company where a forklif driver set off the "Domino effect" and a pack of about 50 9' x 6' sheets of chip started to fall over. Some super man thought he could stop there languid fall and needless to say he ended up as flat as a pancake under approx. 2.5 metric tonnes of board
Ouch! What happened to super man? :?:
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

Mike Bowers wrote:Ouch! What happened to super man? :?:
He is now known as "Flat Stanley" (if you've had kids in elementary school within the last 10 years or so, you know Flat Stanley) :lol: