entertainment design

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Clint Buechlein

Ted Evans

entertainment design

Post by Ted Evans »

Being a real novice with ecabs, this has been quite the challenge. My reason for posting this image is that I'm hoping some of you will offer some design improvements. I'm ok at building but designing is a real challenge for me.

The image is a little rough but for the most part is fairly accurate with the following exceptions. The two angle cabinets will have a top rail that mirrors the larger cabinets and the rail & stiles of the glass doors will be smaller than the picture shows. The customer gave me some ideas as to what they wanted but didn't have anything real definite.

A lot of thanks to those of you that have so willing offered help in my learning process and also to Grady for the picture of the dog.
Attachments
croy entertainment 2.jpg
croy entertainment 2.jpg (76.83 KiB) Viewed 8292 times
Ted
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

Ted,

I'm glad to see that someone else is working today. Novice my ---. I think that design is great. A job like this is the best way to learn, as you encounter problems you just have to figure them out or post a question on the forum. I was thinking to match the top rails, then I read on. Kerry may have some tips to tone down the lighting a bit. Keep up the good work! Send a picture of the finished product when it's done.

Brian
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Will there be TVs behind the doors on each side of the fireplace or on top on each side?

If there is a TV(s), try to get the center of the TV screen at eye level when seated. That doesn't always work out given the customer's wishes and the layout of the room.

One thing I have found is that a fireplace can be very distracting with a TV beside or over it. It can also be bad on the eyes. My sister insisted that I place her TV over a small gas fireplace and after a season of trying to watch the fire and TV at the same time, she finally admitted that she should have listened to me and can I redo the design. Of course I only added this bit of info because she never said I was right before 8) .

Just make sure your customer is aware of these potential interferences to enjoying the TV around the fireplace. Many people don't have a problem but some do and later wish they hadn't put the two in close proximity.

I do almost exclusively entertainment centers and I like you design very much. The side modules bring the fireplace in and make it part of the overall design rather than looking like the entertainment center is an after-thought.
Tom Houser

Post by Tom Houser »

Very nice Ted. I would like to know where the TV('s) go may have a suggestion or two.
Thom Houser
http://www.thouser.com
A person who never made a mistake
never tried anything new.
A. Einstein
Lee Morris

Post by Lee Morris »

Ted
I agree with the phrase \"Novice my ---. \" Very nice! Could you make the sides of the mantle wide enough to cover the painted wall between the mantles and the bookcases?
Lee
If the only tool you have is a hammer,
every problem looks like a nail.
Ted Evans

Post by Ted Evans »

Thanks to all for the kind words, and suggestions. The TV actually goes where the picture of the dog is. The wall is recessed enough for a plasma TV.

Dan, they have a TV in a similar location in their present home and that is where they want it but I agree with you. I guess each to his own.

Lee, the exposed wall on the side of the fireplace is one of the things that bothers me but unless the mantle design is changed, which they like, the columns are the maximum width. I'm thinking of trying a profiled base at the bottom of the columns on both the surround and the two adjacent cabinet columns.

Thanks again.
Ted
Tom Houser

Post by Tom Houser »

That's what it looked like to me as far as the TV. You will be supplying air circulation for the pack of the Plasma TV ? Also I don't know what goes behind the doors but you might consider making the 2 - 5 piece doors into 1 -7 piece door. That would give the glass better proportions and a bit smoother look. Just an idea.
Thom Houser
http://www.thouser.com
A person who never made a mistake
never tried anything new.
A. Einstein
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

lighting tip

Post by Peter Walsh »

Ted,
When you add lighting to a room and place the light fixture on the plan view, after \"escaping\" out of the placing mode, double click on the fixture to select it, and then move your cursor over the wall edge so it glows. Do not drag the fixture after double clicking. When the fixture is selected and the wall glows red, right click your mouse and select \"associate with wall\" from the menu.
After doing this, \"escape\" out of any selction of the fixture and then double click the wall edge. This will bring up a full view of the wall and show the fixtures. If you double click a fixture to select it you can then drag the fixture down to a lower level on the wall to throw light into the cabinetry from any level.
I see you have \"hidden\" the lights fixtures in the rendering and if you move them down, they will stay hidden and not show in the final rendering but the light will now come from the level of the light fixture illuminating the portions of your cabinet you might want to show better.
You've made a great start.
Peter Walsh
Ted Evans

Post by Ted Evans »

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the suggestion. A couple of the lights are at a lower level, but I haven't taken the time yet to fine tune the lighting. There are still a few items that need addressing before it is presented to the customer.
Ted