More Questions

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Arthur Ledet

More Questions

Post by Arthur Ledet »

I am trying to cut some support legs for a top i am making and the legs have to be two piece of 3/4 MDF with Plastic Laminate on both sides, giving me a material about 1.75\" thick. My question is has anyone ever cut anything this thick before? What bits were used? What kind of feed speed? Any help is apperiacted. Thanks in advance.

Arthur
Cabinets and Countertops of Louisiana
(504)464-7039
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Yup I have run thick stuff like 32mm MDF (whats that 1 1/2\" ?) or 50mm timber. I just do 2 or more passes and adjust my waste board thickness each time so as to not stress out my motor.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

Nick M Singer wrote:Yup I have run thick stuff like 32mm MDF (whats that 1 1/2" ?) or 50mm timber. I just do 2 or more passes and adjust my waste board thickness each time so as to not stress out my motor.
32mm is about 1-1/4" and 50mm is just under 2" (25.4mm per inch).

I've got a handy inch to metric calculator on eCabWorld that you can download. The name is "Inch to Metric Converter". Just key in the inch or mm and click in the other box and it converts for you.
Arthur Ledet

Post by Arthur Ledet »

Nick,

nice idea about the wasteboard to not stress out the motor!! i am guessing i just need a router bit that has a cutting length greater than the material i am cutting than i am goog to go. tks for the tips.

Arthur
Cabinets and Countertops of Louisiana
(504)464-7039