A non-cabinet cabinet

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Clint Buechlein

Rolf Bergstrom

A non-cabinet cabinet

Post by Rolf Bergstrom »

What the heck, as long as I am at it I thought I would post another out of the ordinary project I did with eCabs. The design comes from portfolio I saw from the James Krenov school and I wanted to make something similar. This is a solid mahogany cabinet with spalted hackberry panels in the doors and the back panel (the back panel is the same layout as the doors so 3 of the cubbies go all the way through and 3 are enclosed). There is a slight curve to the top and bottom as well as on the front rails of the stand though it is hard to see here. I ended up making the stand out of ebonized maple instead of wenge as I originally intended but it still looks good.
Attachments
Cabinet.jpg
Cabinet.jpg (15.07 KiB) Viewed 9128 times
Display Cabinet on Stand.jpg
Display Cabinet on Stand.jpg (22.58 KiB) Viewed 9084 times
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

You go Rolf! I'm more of a Louis XV style person myself but I recognize quality woodworking when I see it.

In actuality, a lot of the same skills (marquetry, etc) go into both and that is what I love about woodworking of any style--bringing out the beauty of the wood--and you sure did that well!
David Norton
Guru Member
Company Name: Custom Trim and Millwork

Post by David Norton »

Nice job Rolf, I like your use of Ecabs to design the unsual.
Dave Norton
Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Post by Mike Bowers »

Outstanding Rolf, any pics with the doors open? I like the look.
Mike
We love what we do, we do it well.
Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Post by Mike Bowers »

Rolf, I just visited you're site & saw the open door pics. That is one cool looking cabinet!
BTW, I like you're other work as well.
We love what we do, we do it well.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

I just had to visit you web site too and I have to say you have some impressive work. I especially liked the \"Cool Stuff\" category :lol: even though everything there is pretty cool.
Rolf Bergstrom

Post by Rolf Bergstrom »

Thanks. I have several guitar and guitar/music related projects that I have either started or planned and they just never seem to get any time (translated, there are no dollar signs attached). That is what I created the Cool Stuff section for and rather than have it sit empty...
Just in case you are a Dream Theater/John Petrucci fan, I took my oldest boy (just turned 16) to his first concert a couple of months ago and we were in the second row literally 6 feet in front of John (he stays put pretty much throughout their shows) and it was incredible. My son is into playing and I really want to build some guitars for him and that kind of spawned some other projects. Hopefully I will get some time to bring at least a couple of them to completion. Until then...
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Have you ever watched any of the Handmade Music shows on the DIY channel? This guy in Nashville builds guitars, banjos, mandolins, etc from scratch--and I mean from scratch. He even goes out and cuts down a spruce tree and splits it for the face and back!

He uses the old style of building and it is very interesting watching (read--my wife says boring). He also does some very nice ebony finger boards with mother-of-pearl inlays and of course, hide glue for everything.
Jim Bullis

Re:

Post by Jim Bullis »

Rolf Bergstrom wrote:Thanks. I have several guitar and guitar/music related projects that I have either started or planned and they just never seem to get any time (translated, there are no dollar signs attached). That is what I created the Cool Stuff section for and rather than have it sit empty...
Just in case you are a Dream Theater/John Petrucci fan, I took my oldest boy (just turned 16) to his first concert a couple of months ago and we were in the second row literally 6 feet in front of John (he stays put pretty much throughout their shows) and it was incredible. My son is into playing and I really want to build some guitars for him and that kind of spawned some other projects. Hopefully I will get some time to bring at least a couple of them to completion. Until then...
(lurking in the backgrounds) Hey Rolf - I'm a long time Dream Theatre/John Petrucci fan and was wicked impressed with your cool stuff section. I saw DT with Queensryche a couple of years ago for the first time and was floored by the show (especially QR :!: ). Talk about talent! Anyway - great work and good luck with all..
Jim
Rolf Bergstrom

Post by Rolf Bergstrom »

Jim, I grew up in Seattle and we used to go see Queensryche at the Bellevue Skate King and other odd places before they hit it big. Fast forward a few years and I worked with a guy who grew up with Eddie Jackson and we were out partying one night and actually ran into him. Fast forward a few more years and Chris DiGarmo and his wife moved into a house a few doors up the block from my mom. When I first met him I was walking my boy (same one I took to concert) who was probably 3 or 4 at the time around the block and Chris was building a small brick border wall around the yard. My boy started playing with the bricks and Chris got him helping build the wall. He was really cool. His wife was expecting at the time and they would always stop and talk when they were out for walks. They both seemed really down to earth and if you didn't know he was a rock star or had money you would never guess, except when Eddie came to visit (which was fairly often). He maintained the rock star image and you always could hear his conv Porsche with the tunes cranked coming long before he arrived.
That's my small world story for the day.
Jim Bullis

Post by Jim Bullis »

Rolf - wow, what a great story. I am impressed and somewhat jealous. I am a a huge 'Ryche fan (ink to prove it), my first show was in '84. In fact - going to 2 concerts this fall. MAN - it IS a small world after all!
Jim