MDF Doors

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

MDF Doors

Post by Brian Shannon »

Anyone have any luck cutting MDF Doors from V5 ? I've been working on it but have had problems. So far there's not much instruction on this.

Brian
Jeff Norris
Guru Member

Post by Jeff Norris »

i dont know if its any help, but ryan sent me email yesterday telling me that you have to cut them in the profile modeler for now and that they will be adding a feature to nest them soon.
Joe Soto
Guru Member
Company Name: Fancyridge Wood Products LLC

Post by Joe Soto »

Too quick Jeff.
I have cut a few, but you need to update the profile modeler first or they will be about twice the size.
Joe
Jeff Norris
Guru Member

Post by Jeff Norris »

i really wish they would let us know when updates are availible. i would have been out there trying to make doors spending time to thinking i was doing somthing wrong.
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

I have been talking to Ryan over the last couple days and got the same info. I did upgrade to Profile Modeler 1.2. I got one door to load, verify tool path, and create CNC code. I went to cut it and it wants to do a cut on the back side for some reason. Anyway, I proceded to cut and my cutter went about 1/2\" into my Spoilboard on the first pass, then hit aluminum on the second pass. My Z shift and daylight settings were good. I'm hoping that RN will work better. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I don't think so.

Brian
Joe Soto
Guru Member

Post by Joe Soto »

Brian,
I thought it was just me, I caught it on the wasteboard (e-stop), I had to change my Zshift about an inch high and g52 way bigger than the door and if you look every move is the same over and over just deeper every time but the update fixed it. I will give your door a try after supper.
There is still a problem somewhere look at this 16 X 20 3/4 door.
Joe
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

Thanks Joe,

Let me know how it goes. It's just a simple door. Outside is WS 6020 @ .375\" deep and 1/4\" offset. Inside is Asimetrical #4 set at .375 deep, mitered. I think..... 3/4\" MDF. I is good to know that others are having similar problems so we don't start triing to fix problems that don't exist.

Brian
Joe Soto
Guru Member

Post by Joe Soto »

Brian,
Could you send the twd. I cant download the other file.
Joe
Joe Soto
Guru Member

Post by Joe Soto »

Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

zip
Joe Soto
Guru Member

Post by Joe Soto »

Brian, you should be good to go. I didnt have the 6020 so modeled it with the .25 compression I had loaded. The others some I did earlier. All using the same .25 bit on regular mdf so they were a little hairy but sanded eazy. The photos were took with the web cam on the controler so they are not very clear.
Joe
Attachments
your door
your door
Picture 012.jpg (6.99 KiB) Viewed 12415 times
still carving
still carving
Picture 011.jpg (8.68 KiB) Viewed 12415 times
carving your door
carving your door
Picture 010.jpg (9.44 KiB) Viewed 12415 times
Jeff Norris
Guru Member

Post by Jeff Norris »

i am seeing a lot of doors with similar numbers, where the decimal is in the wrong place. glad to see you are having some sucess with the mdf doors
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

'Looks good Joe!

I would also have to model the 6020. This is the door that I had trouble with the cutting too deep. I wonder why it worked on yours but not on mine. I will have to look at it again on Monday. Thanks for running it.

Brian
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

Joe,

Those doors look pretty good and the miter looks tight. What tools did you use besides the 1/4\"? Did you but a daylight value in Profile Modeler or did you just put an approximate tool length? There really should be more instruction on this.

Brian
Joe Soto
Guru Member

Post by Joe Soto »

Brian, Be sure you updated the profile modeler. http://www.thermwood.com/twood_site/pag ... ates.htmIf it says type #2 to cut back of door, it will cut too deep!!
I only used the .25 bit (cool aint it). You use the daylight already set up for that tool. Mine happened to be tool 3, then in the profile modeler you give it a little more info about the tool (type, stepover amount, feed speed, ect. )Next load the twd, verify tool path for each region.Set G52L# under operations ,properties,defaults. Then write cnc. Dont graph, it will lock up! I add 2\" to theZSHIFT (dont forget the wasteboard if you use one),just to be sure.Twice, one for the outline and one for the region cut. If it looks good change ZSHIFT back and carve away.
The mdf door part of the software is great for a few doors but still needs some work, like nesting and being able to apply more than 1 tool to the inside like 1 cope and 1 panel using custom tools.
Joe