Hobbies and other interests

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Corlane Custom Cabinetry LLC

Post by Jeremy Schiffer »

Are you putting a 350 in it? What tranny? Gotta make it fair now, no blown or nitrous stuff!

Hm, an idea... maybe we should all drive our classic cars to IWF. I can see it now: World's largest woodworking show and cruise-in. Nifty!
http://www.corlanecabinetry.com

Intel Core i7-5820 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
Michael Rice

Post by Michael Rice »

Hey Jeremy, what a cool name for a newspaper ! I'm not originally from Madison, I grew up in East Point, been here 22 years. There a lot of Rice's in Morgan and Putnam county, none of whom I'm related to.
The mustang has never been raced..........just baby'd. It has a small block 302, bored 30 over, high performance heads, flat top pistons, crane cam, edelbrock manifold, holly 4150, and tri-y headers. Probably makes 320 hp. Next time I drive to it to the monutains, I'll drop you a note and come by Carnesville.
Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Re:

Post by Mike Bowers »

Jeremy Schiffer wrote:Are you putting a 350 in it? What tranny? Gotta
make it fair now, no blown or nitrous stuff!
Hm, an idea... maybe we should all drive our classic cars to IWF. I can see it now: World's largest woodworking show and cruise-in. Nifty!
Well that leaves Ken out of the race :roll:
We love what we do, we do it well.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

Jeremy Schiffer wrote:Are you putting a 350 in it? What tranny? Gotta make it fair now, no blown or nitrous stuff!

It has a pretty mild 350 in it. I started with a new long block and replaced the cam, added a Weiand intake and Holley 650 on top. It should make about 350HP or so.

Out back it has a TH 400 tranny followed up by a 12-bolt rear. Big fat BFG Radial T/As put it all on the ground.

I took a few inches off the top and suicided the doors, followed the Rolling Stones advice to "Paint it Black" and am just waiting on the time to wire it (1 day), add AC (1 day), put glass in (1 day) and go over all the bolts (2 or 3 days). Its not much time once I can get to it.
Mike Seisser
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: NCB Inc.

Post by Mike Seisser »

Finally got around to adding my hobbies here, 'cuz they've taken up so much of my time lately!!(I WISH)

So, in no particular order, I love to fish...the whopper in the pic below is the first fish caught on that new fly rod.

I help coach my kids baseball teams.

I'm a huge NASCAR fan, finally got the chance to drive a 600hp version of the Miller Lite Dodge at Chicagoland Speedway recently.

My wife and I train our German Shepherds (obedience, rally and hopefully soon tracking/Schutzhund). That's Schäfer on the left (mine) and Jäger on the right (my wife's).

Other than that I golf, play baseball/softball, play guitar, am huge into Flight Simulators and read anything about WWII that I can get my hands on.
Attachments
NASCAR Fishin.jpg
NASCAR Fishin.jpg (364.79 KiB) Viewed 10581 times
Schäfer und Jäger.jpg
Schäfer und Jäger.jpg (277.02 KiB) Viewed 10581 times
Yanks Orioles.jpg
Yanks Orioles.jpg (356.03 KiB) Viewed 10581 times
Proper Planning Prevents Poor Production.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

I had to dig deep to find this old thread.
My \"Hobby\" is a little different than most and I had taken a year away from it until just recently.
I volunteer with a local performing arts theatre and do set and lighting design as well as being their sound and lighting technician.

Here is a shot of our Valentine show set sketched in eCabinets to get the basic idea.

And a few shots of the set with different lighting designs.

and my sound and lighting consoles

OK, I'll admit it, I am a thespian.

(Just a side not. I also framed, hung the drywall, and milled and installed most of the trim in this theater as a volunteer using volunteer help in the years from 1989 till 1995 when the theatre was opened. The theatre was featured on CBS Sunday Morning in 1995.)

Kerry
Last edited by Kerry Fullington on Tue, Feb 13 2007, 9:34AM, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Post by Mike Bowers »

Very nice Kerry!

My hobby has taken up a lot of my time lately, attached is what I've got going on now, this is the full pg ad placed yesterday
Attachments
BTR Ad.jpg
BTR Ad.jpg (324.93 KiB) Viewed 10526 times
David Egnoski
Company Name: Richmond Cabinet

Post by David Egnoski »

My hobby is not as admirable as Kerry's of Mike's. It has taken up a lot of my spare time though. It's an aircraft design from the late 1920s called a Pietenpol Air Camper. It's built from plans, not a kit. What you don't see here is a pile of parts and a rebuilt aircraft engine waiting to go on the fuselage. I won't tell you how long I've been working on it. It's a labor of love.
Dave Egnoski
Richmond Cabinet & Millwork
Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Re:

Post by Mike Bowers »

David Egnoski wrote:My hobby is not as admirable as Kerry's of Mike's. It has taken up a lot of my spare time though. It's an aircraft design from the late 1920s called a Pietenpol Air Camper. It's built from plans, not a kit. What you don't see here is a pile of parts and a rebuilt aircraft engine waiting to go on the fuselage. I won't tell you how long I've been working on it. It's a labor of love.
WOW cool project David is this considered an experimental aircraft? 1or2 seater?
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

Mike Bowers wrote:
David Egnoski wrote:My hobby is not as admirable as Kerry's of Mike's. It has taken up a lot of my spare time though. It's an aircraft design from the late 1920s called a Pietenpol Air Camper. It's built from plans, not a kit. What you don't see here is a pile of parts and a rebuilt aircraft engine waiting to go on the fuselage. I won't tell you how long I've been working on it. It's a labor of love.
WOW cool project David is this considered an experimental aircraft? 1or2 seater?
Gee, post the HSF so the rest of use can build one :mrgreen: :lol:

Just kidding of course but that is cool. I know what you mean about how long you've been working on it--I still haven't finished my truck project and it doesn't look like I'll have time to work on it in the near future :cry:
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

David,
That is really neat. When I was a kid (about ten years ago) one of my friends dad was building his own airplane. He had been a military pilot and had a little yellow Piper Cub that he would fly around. He wanted a plane that would do a little more than the Piper. For many years I would visit his little shop and see the plane slowly progress. He finally finished it and his idea of flying was doing loops and stalls. He is gone now but his plane is in the local museum.
Kerry
Geo Noeth

Post by Geo Noeth »

Man, what an interesting thread I've just wasted over an hour looking over and re-reading it. a talented group.

Except for a couple of maveric sky divers and such there seems to be a common thread here. I'll bet a smart guy could draw some conclusions about what it takes to succeed in this business. I have personally been involved in most of these types of hobbies at different points in my life. I tend to move on to something else once I reach a certain level of skill or accomplishment.

Woodworking has been the only activity that will not let go of me.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

Geo Noeth wrote:Man, what an interesting thread I've just wasted over an hour looking over and re-reading it. a talented group...there seems to be a common thread here...I'll bet a smart guy could draw some conclusions about what it takes to succeed in this business...Woodworking has been the only activity that will not let go of me.
Geo--talented bunch for sure. The common thread I see is that every one of these hobbies are "hands-on". We just can't sit back and be spectators to life, we have to experience it!

Oh, and that OTHER common thread--woodworking--is probably something that has OWNED all of us for most of our lives.
David Egnoski
Company Name: Richmond Cabinet

Post by David Egnoski »

Mike,
The Pietenpol is considered experimental because it is owner built. It seats two, althought not exactly comfortably.

Dan,
The plans are cheap. My problem has been the metal work, I'm a woodworker. I thought this project would be a piece of cake. It's the metal work thats got me.

Kerry,
I'm not familiar with that plane but it sure looks like it would be fun to fly. Of course, most any plane is fun to fly.

I agree that this forum has a very talented group of people posting.
Dave Egnoski
Richmond Cabinet & Millwork
Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Post by Mike Bowers »

Thought I would share a pic our event tee's. Pretty cool. These guys that do this in Illustrator amaze me.The sponsor are will look better after I gather up all the EPS files.
Mike
Attachments
BOAT_07.jpg
BOAT_07.jpg (825.98 KiB) Viewed 10342 times